Is there anyway to fix this razor top?

I've noticed that too. Some razors just don't mix with Feather blades.

Is that the actual color of the razor? Or light playing tricks on the photo?

Is that the actual color of the razor? Or light playing tricks on the photo?
Help me out here, which photo? The picture with 2 razors? With the faded red handle adjuster on the left? It's an antique that hasn't been well taken care of in its lifetime, I guess. Jeff got a much nicer version of one on eBay. Or are you talking about the one on the right? Or some other photo?

Help me out here, which photo? The picture with 2 razors? With the faded red handle adjuster on the left? It's an antique that hasn't been well taken care of in its lifetime, I guess. Jeff got a much nicer version of one on eBay. Or are you talking about the one on the right? Or some other photo?

Sorry.... these...

Razors.jpg

The Feather blades are awesome in the 6s, but you may end up going down a step to a slightly less aggressive baseplate. The Feather blades are ridiculously sharp.

I absolutely love them with my Feather ASD2 razor, which I think is about on par with the 6s #2 plate, possibly even the #1.
Totally agree with ridiculously sharp. For a first try of a Feather in the 6S, I will go with the #1 and see how it goes.

In my Merkur, with a #3 base plate, it tore my face. I thought it was me for a while, but the Feather was just at the wrong angle with a #3 Merkur base plate. I'm kind of flogging myself to have chucked out 90 Feather blades, less than 6 months ago. Hadn't used them in over 6 years and figured I never would. Bzzzttt! Wrong! This is teaching me the lesson to never throw things out...

The Rockwell is a matte solid stainless steel razor. The knurl is "dull". The Gillette Red Tip is stamped plated steel, I think, with an ornamental heavy handle. At the base of the handle are the remnants of a "red tip". Apologize for the poor lighting, I have the lights on, because it is a dull dark day. There maybe optical distortion due to the close distance of the camera to the razors. Here's another picture of the pair.
PXL_20221025_171110097.jpg
So far the Rockwell is the winner in the best shaver testing, but the previous Gillette is showing well. I'm surprised at how nice a shave I am getting with all of these razors.

Cool. Thank you.

Sorry for the additional questions... but the finish on the Rockwell, being dull/beadblasted, does that not impact how smooth it would make it to shave? I would have thought that a polished finished would glide better than a rougher finish on the razor...

Cool. Thank you.

Sorry for the additional questions... but the finish on the Rockwell, being dull/beadblasted, does that not impact how smooth it would make it to shave? I would have thought that a polished finished would glide better than a rougher finish on the razor...
No problem. I don't think it it matters one bit. The razor backplate edge and top are running on your face which are lubricated with lather. For that matter, the backplate edge is running against your whiskers which are soapy. All that theory aside, hands down, of the four razors tried so far, the Rockwell has given me the best shave so far. From left (worst) to right (best) so far. The worst one, is pretty good, but leaves enough behind for 4 o'clock shadow. So far, at 2pm, the Rockwell shave is pretty smooth. No face irritation on any of them.
PXL_20221025_181011270.jpg
Merkur #1 head, #2 plate. Gillette adjustable set to #3. Gillette non-adjustable (about #3) Rockwell 6S, #3.
Used Dorco blades on the first 3. Tried Astra blade on the Rockwell.

My original Merkur, the one that broke, has a #2 head, and a #3 plate. It gave a closer shave than the Merkur that is pictured. Unfortunately, the replacement parts that I found (and received) are #1 head and #1 plate. That's going to require a more aggressive blade than I have right now.

Once you've found and settled in with your favorite, you'll want to go make a stand for it..

From stainless, of course.

Isn't it funny how there's so much difference between the razors when they appear to be nearly identical? I replaced by 1960's Gillette Fat Boy with a Merkur Futura mainly because I just had the bug to see why people liked it so much. I have to admit, it's a much better razor.

Back