Is there anyway to fix this razor top?

Shave? is that still a thing? I do occasionally trim my eyebrows so I can see where I'm going. Mike
30 years in the military tends to make shaving more of a reflex than a preference for me.

Two days (3 days tops) and the fuzz on my face drives me absolutely insane.…

For the cap you can go the way Gillette did originally. Make your cap then add the threaded post. It is a 10-32 or 5X.8MM. They are interchangeable. I have done this. Tap through the cap. Then on the post thread one side just a few threads The other end thread longer to be able to thread fully to handle. Then thread post to cap and bottom out real tight. Make sure to keep that post straight.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Tried out the Gillette black handle adjustable set on 3 yesterday. That was ok, but could have gone to 4 I think. Today I tried the Gillette non-adjustable. I liked that one, although I find the handle short. But using it was fine. It also seemed to give a closer shave.
PXL_20221025_000514275.jpg
This evening, the postman delivered the Rockwell 6S to me. The razor traveled a non-optimal path, but eventually got to me. Comes in a nice box, with a magnetic lid. The handle is on the short side, but this razor is a heavy-weight. The replaceable anvils, for lack of a better term are quite hefty things. The handle is solid and a 10-32 thread. The finish is matte. The handle I made for my Merkur has a M5-0.8 thread, screws on ok. If I slightly taper the end, it will fit the Rockwell. My handle is a wee bit wide at the base to fully seat. My handle clashes a bit, as it is shinier than the Rockwell finish. I suppose I could walnut shell blast my handle to make it more matte appearance.

I may give the base Rockwell a try tomorrow morning, although I don't want to be too distracted from testing the other razors.
PXL_20221025_001840342.jpg

You can always get a different handle. They are pretty much standard. There are hundreds to choose from. However if you have a lathe

They are called baseplates.

Cutting oil is my blood.

You can always get a different handle. They are pretty much standard. There are hundreds to choose from. However if you have a lathe

They are called baseplates.

Cutting oil is my blood.
Baseplates! New term for me. I just couldn't think of what it was called.

Yes, I made my own handle from 303 on my lathe. I can slightly modify it to fit the Rockwell.

All this talk of razors motivated me to but an old favorite.
I've used it twice. The shave is much better than with my two piece merkur.

Paid $30 and it's in perfect condition. I also picked up a flare tip. Medium grade. I love these old razors.

All this talk of razors motivated me to but an old favorite.
I've used it twice. The shave is much better than with my two piece merkur.

Paid $30 and it's in perfect condition. I also picked up a flare tip. Medium grade. I love these old razors.

I much prefer the red tip to the regular. I like more blade feel. Great razor!

Cutting oil is my blood.

I much prefer the red tip to the regular. I like more blade feel. Great razor!

Cutting oil is my blood.
I agree, with the red tip it's so easy to get a clean -close shave. Feather blade of course.

Haven't tried the red tip one yet. I'll try that one tomorrow.

I can report that the Rockwell 6S gave a heck of a nice shave this morning with a #3 base plate. Actually it was really amazing. You know how in machine tools rigidity matters? Well the head and base plate are really rigid on the Rockwell. (Like 5x thicker on the Rockwell than on the stamped Gillettes.) I think this allows the blade to be set and held in a very good position. A #3 shave on the Rockwell felt like a #1 shave on the Merkur, but the shave was closer. No irritation. Barely aware of the blade. A really nice shave, best so far. Used an Astra blade on the Rockwell. Probably need to get some Feathers for this razor to try. Can't believe I chucked the Feathers as being unusable on my Merkur. Was this year :(

PXL_20221025_164003351.jpg

Haven't tried the red tip one yet. I'll try that one tomorrow.

I can report that the Rockwell 6S gave a heck of a nice shave this morning with a #3 base plate. Actually it was really amazing. You know how in machine tools rigidity matters? Well the head and base plate are really rigid on the Rockwell. (Like 5x thicker on the Rockwell than on the stamped Gillettes.) I think this allows the blade to be set and held in a very good position. A #3 shave on the Rockwell felt like a #1 shave on the Merkur, but the shave was closer. No irritation. Barely aware of the blade. A really nice shave, best so far. Used an Astra blade on the Rockwell. Probably need to get some Feathers for this razor to try. Can't believe I chucked the Feathers as being unusable on my Merkur. Was this year :(

View attachment 424664

The Feather blades are awesome in the 6s, but you may end up going down a step to a slightly less aggressive baseplate. The Feather blades are ridiculously sharp.

I absolutely love them with my Feather ASD2 razor, which I think is about on par with the 6s #2 plate, possibly even the #1.

Back