Is there anyway to fix this razor top?

Probably 316 is more corrosion resistant. I have some 304, so that's what I'll use.

As for the bottom, don't know yet. Probably keep it simple unless there's an issue.

I need to order the material to make the bottle cap openers... so might as well get the material for the base... it's all about the base, about the base...:D

Don't know about bead blasting. Right now there's walnut shells in the blaster cabinet. Changing over is a bit of work. I do have glass beads. Will that frost the stainless?

I do not know the answer to that... all I have is a cheap soda blaster gun/setup that I was going to try on the stainless steel material...

Don't know about bead blasting. Right now there's walnut shells in the blaster cabinet. Changing over is a bit of work. I do have glass beads. Will that frost the stainless?

I'm getting ahead of myself. Need to finish a cable on my ELS. Twisted up four pairs of wires. Got to solder the wires into the connectors. Then my lathe will be functional again. After that I will make the razor stand.

Glass bead is commonly used on stainless barrels and other gun parts as a final finish. Depending on the grit, it gives a nice satin finish.

Not my pics. Downloaded from the net.

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    6.2 KB · Views: 7
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    4.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Sandblast.7.jpeg
    Sandblast.7.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 7
Favorite creams?

Speick and Prorasso.

Preference is Spieck, mixed in a turkish copper hand shaped bowl and a 1960’s era German army issue boar bristle brush.

I’ve tried others but nothing compares to the Spieck cream. Smooth, thick lather, soothing, smells good and have yet to even give myself a nick when using Spieck.

Spieck is a little more uncommon and hard to come by, but well worth the cost and effort.

Good luck with your journey! The only thing I would add, is to consider getting one that is adjustable for "depth of cut". I find the beginner setups to be very mild and make me feel that I haven't quite shaved. So they are great as an introduction to the "sport", but you will soon be moving on to more aggressive shavers. Some shavers have replaceable back plates, others like the Gillette black handled one have a numbered adjustment.

Good luck with your Viking Chieftain Jr. Looks pretty nice.

I figured I was safer starting with a mild razor, and wanting more than slicing my face up and giving up on it.
This one gives a decent shave, at least as good as a cartridge, but I'm already researching the next one. As a kid my Dad let me play with his old Gillette twist to open safety razors, he had a beard so didn't use them anymore. I'm already looking into a vintage one just for nostalgia even if not a primary, but it sounds like they are a popular choice anyway.

I hate the amount of money I spend/spent on disposable blades refills (think Gillette Mach3)... and never been a fan of electric razors...

But I got one of those Braun Series 5 electric razors, as a gift, two years ago... That helped me stop buying more refills. But these just do not feel as closed as a shave over the razor blades.

I mentioned that I also got the manual razor (again, not sure of the brand, will share when I get home)... as a gift with some stuff from The Art of Shaving, but I have been afraid of slicing my face with it...

This thread is giving me the motivation to give that a try. Also, based on all the work @WobblyHand has done comparing these, I will order one of those Rockwell 6S... Different from other stuff, I will stick with just one and not venture into the collection madness some of you have been blessed with :D:D:D

Get a stiptic pencil or alum block, that stops any bleeding quickly. I was intimidated by the first shave, but I found it really wasn't that different from a cartridge.
I think a lot of the how to videos are assuming minimal blade shaving experience so it seems complicated. Probably aimed at new shavers or people coming from electric.

I use an alum block, but not for nicks. I always have the block on the counter for me to touch with my wet fingers and it gives me more grip on the wet razor handle…

I use an alum block, but not for nicks. I always have the block on the counter for me to touch with my wet fingers and it gives me more grip on the wet razor handle…

I figured I was safer starting with a mild razor, and wanting more than slicing my face up and giving up on it.
This one gives a decent shave, at least as good as a cartridge, but I'm already researching the next one. As a kid my Dad let me play with his old Gillette twist to open safety razors, he had a beard so didn't use them anymore. I'm already looking into a vintage one just for nostalgia even if not a primary, but it sounds like they are a popular choice anyway.

Get a stiptic pencil or alum block, that stops any bleeding quickly. I was intimidated by the first shave, but I found it really wasn't that different from a cartridge.
I think a lot of the how to videos are assuming minimal blade shaving experience so it seems complicated. Probably aimed at new shavers or people coming from electric.

So is that like those stainless steel pieces to get rid of smells in your hands?

EDIT: Nevermind... found them in Amazon... Styptic stick and Styptic pencil

So is that like those stainless steel pieces to get rid of smells in your hands?

EDIT: Nevermind... found them in Amazon... Styptic stick and Styptic pencil

Stops bleeding from nicks, so no more toilet paper dabs stuck to your face.
Learned about these years ago from a girlfriends grandfather.

Alum block is supposed to work the same way, but is like a bar of soap so can cover more ground if you have a bunch of small nicks. Stiptic pencil is more of a spot solution.

Alum blocks aren’t so much for stopping bleeds, although they can stop some bleeds from small pulls or tears. Big nicks you want a stypic pencil.

You are supposed to rub it over your skin (lightly) after a shave and it tightens the skin up (its an astringent).

Makes your skin feel fresh and firmed up after a shave. Also helps stave off “razor burn” from the tightening effect.

Alum blocks aren’t so much for stopping bleeds, although they can stop some bleeds from small pulls or tears. Big nicks you want a stypic pencil.

You are supposed to rub it over your skin (lightly) after a shave and it tightens the skin up (its an astringent).

Makes your skin feel fresh and firmed up after a shave. Also helps stave off “razor burn” from the tightening effect.

Witch Hazel does the same thing. I use that after every shave now. I used the Alum block for years. Both work great. Somebody gave me 2 gallons so I figured I would try and use it up.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Oh goodness... here I thought you guys were talking about an actual piece of aluminum... @great white thank you for the link to the article...

facepalm.jpg

Back