Is there anyway to fix this razor top?

@twhite Nice! I'm just waiting for someone to tell you that one of them is bent. :laughing:
I started collecting razors a few years ago, and then decided I needed to stop. The antique store near me had many choices. Always wanted a GEM though. I'm guessing that's the wedge razor yours uses?

Yes the early Gems took wedge blades. The razor I made is based off of a 1890’s design Fox razor. I made it utilizing Rolls Razor wedge blades. As they are so plentiful.

Here is the whole setup I made.
94a7addb325e0c011d4bcc4e8b8f78ed.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Well the ship has come in! Tom's package arrived. 9 razors to try out! I'll get them cleaned (they are spotless!) and give them a try! Sort of a shave a day! Wow! On the adjustable one, which way does the scale go? 1 least agressive, 9 more agressive? What is the advantage of the open comb over closed?
PXL_20221021_211745411.jpg

You'll be able to tell by the blade gap, but 1 should be the least aggressive, while 9 will feel like using straight razor until you get used to it.

Open comb basically leaves a bit of lather behind before the blade cuts the hair. That is the throat least. Other than that. They just look cool.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Day 1 of shaving test. Used the Merkur 23c? with the longer handle since it is nearly what I had originally. Used a new Dorco ST301 Platinum blade, since that was the blade I was attempting to use when my old razor broke. Lathered up with a brush and went at it. Hadn't used a brush in a while, so that was nice Shaving was totally uneventful . It was such a light cut I thought I forgot to put in a blade. But it simply shaved my face. Felt like I was cheating. Much nicer experience than using the plastic razors. I think this razor is even less aggressive than my original Merkur. Very easy shave. Tomorrow, will try a different razor.

Huh, doesn't seem to be much love for the cutthroat/straight razor. I use the type that takes safety razor blades snapped in half. Tried loads of stuff over the years and nothing comes close. The advantage of the straight razor is you get to set the angle you like. Complete control. Have I cut myself? Once or twice that I can remember, though only when I've been silly and moved the blade sideways.
I have a beard and use it for shaping/cleanup on cheeks, over tash and under chin/throat rather than full shave. Again, the control for neat shaping surpasses anything else by a country mile. That being said, I have what I'd regard as excellent coordination with the blade even in the mirror and got a barber to teach me the basics. As somebody pointed out earlier in thread, it's not everybody's strength.

As for blades: Wilkinson Sword every time for me.

Regarding fixing the razor.... Why not machine a new head? Some stainless would last a lifetime and be quite a fun little project. If it were my weapon of choice, that's what I'd do.

Huh, doesn't seem to be much love for the cutthroat/straight razor. I use the type that takes safety razor blades snapped in half. Tried loads of stuff over the years and nothing comes close. The advantage of the straight razor is you get to set the angle you like. Complete control. Have I cut myself? Once or twice that I can remember, though only when I've been silly and moved the blade sideways.
I have a beard and use it for shaping/cleanup on cheeks, over tash and under chin/throat rather than full shave. Again, the control for neat shaping surpasses anything else by a country mile. That being said, I have what I'd regard as excellent coordination with the blade even in the mirror and got a barber to teach me the basics. As somebody pointed out earlier in thread, it's not everybody's strength.

As for blades: Wilkinson Sword every time for me.

Regarding fixing the razor.... Why not machine a new head? Some stainless would last a lifetime and be quite a fun little project. If it were my weapon of choice, that's what I'd do.
I have been thinking about how to make the head. I can think of two approaches. 1. Start from bar stock and later turn the curve on the head, probably using a fixture on the lathe or 2. Start from rod stock for the curvature and mill flats to grasp the top. Think approach #1 would be better for me.

Not sure how to approach the threaded part. The head is not thick so you can't get many threads in there. As for angles, I'd have to copy a head that I like. Might make a prototype out of aluminum to make most of my mistakes on :)

As for a straight razor, I have tried it. Pretty easy for cheeks and upper lip. Got rather intimidating on the throat and near the carotid artery. It's more a mind over matter thing, but not something I care to do on a regular basis. Safety shaver is perfectly fine for me.

Hmmm, it's an interesting little challenge!

I think I'd maybe go rod stock about the right diameter for the outside curve, hacksaw or bandsaw out the block of stock you don't want, leaving a tab that you're going to make the blade in on the side and a round portion to chuck. Turn OD, swap it into dividing head to mill reliefs, inside angles and drill/tap. With you on the proto in ali!

Yep, the cutthroat was intimidating first try!

Back