Is there anyway to fix this razor top?

Once I found the right blade for the razor and my face, it was smooth shaving. The wrong blade is horrible. I had been using the razor for 11 years with few issues. Tip, don't shave if you aren't awake... Trust me on that. That's when I had the issues.

@twhite who are you addressing? It seems you are a safety razor collector. I'm a beginner safety razor shaver, that's why I had the Merkur 180. There's apparently different sorts of razors for different beard types. I remember trying an old Gillette in my twenties and it was too aggressive. That's a nicer way of saying my face was cut up. Can you recommend any less aggressive old razors? Can't believe I am asking this, I can see the rabbit hole getting larger and larger...
Any of the Gilletes with the number dials on them.
The ones without slectable agressiveness are usually at about a ”3”, which is about as aggressive as I use.

success or failure with straight razors or safety razors are more about technique than it is equipment. The advice I offer beginners is to hold the razor like its made of rice paper. The lighter the grip, the better the shave. If you have to go over an area once of twice more is much better than pushing on one pass and striking blood.

The only thing I am critical on with equipment is the blade. Too dull and you end up using more pressure which causes burn or blood. sharp blades and a two finger hold is about all you will ever need.

Last edited:
The epoxy I made up last night didn't cure correctly. It's slightly soft, not hard like a well done batch. Drat. Not easy to make very small batches of epoxy right. So I will drill out the head and tap it to M5. Will be an interesting set up on the mill, since there's not much to hold on to.

On the positive side, found a US supplier of Merkur heads. Downside, is that I am not sure if it will fit. There's no model specific information. That could mean one head fits all, or this vendor doesn't know what fits what, or they do know but only stock the popular size. However, a new head is only $7.50, so I will try one.

Got an update from Rockwell Razors. I ordered the 6S, (all 316 construction) yesterday, which comes with 6 settings for aggressiveness. The blade angle is adjusted via 3 reversible plates. So you get the benefit of adjustment and the stability of a fixed configuration. We'll see if it lives up to its hype.

@twhite is generously sending some razors to me for trying out. Greatly appreciate that. This minor shaving incident is proving to be an interesting journey.

I was surprised how the razor/blade combinations impacted the shaving experience. Started with an 70's era Gillett adjustable and a sample pack of three different blades. Marginal shaving experience no matter the blade.
Ended up with a Merkur FUTUR and Astra Platinum blades. It's big and heavy with no knurling but I do like the shave. Night and day difference compared to the Gillette!
Can't beat the per shave cost, .10 cent blade will last me several shaves easily.

Just saw an advert for this brand - no affiliation or experience with them otherwise. I was initially interested until I saw they are made in aluminum. I'd rather have heft and strength. They use very high tolerance machining so probably interesting to this crowd either way: Henson Shaving

I have one…have had it for more than 10 years and it is still new in the box… was a gift. But I am too scared to use it…

I can’t remember the brand…but this thread has me wanting to give it a try…

I will take a photo of it when I get back home…

I used to use a Fat Boy, but changed to Merkur Futura. There's actually a big difference between the two, not the least of which is that it's much easier to clean out the shaved stubble on the Merkur. I use Persona blades, because I bought a pack of 100 about 5 years ago, and I'm still using them. :) Ok, I can get a little lazy about shaving. Each blade lasts surprisingly long though.
Feather blades are considered the sharpest out there, and you better believe it!

I have one…have had it for more than 10 years and it is still new in the box… was a gift. But I am too scared to use it…
Do give it a try! It's nothing like wielding a straight razor.

huh, I had the exact same model, and it did the exact same thing to me.

Make your own razors. I have made several styles. From injector blade, SE, DE and wedge blade razors. Many from Aluminum and brass. Even designed for 3D printing in plastic. Fixed blade and fully adjustable models.
Top row are injector blade models
Middle SE blade
Bottom DE
One with the wood and brass handle takes a wedge type blade. It is fully adjustable to boot.
04c1cee874bf86697ee059ccd2e9a269.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

@twhite Nice! I'm just waiting for someone to tell you that one of them is bent. :laughing:
I started collecting razors a few years ago, and then decided I needed to stop. The antique store near me had many choices. Always wanted a GEM though. I'm guessing that's the wedge razor yours uses?

Back