Is there anyway to fix this razor top?

May get there, if / when the epoxy fails.

Do you know the thread pitch.

Apparently there are two common m5s used on razors .8 and .9

According to that link:
"Since M5x0.8 is a little larger, a handle threaded for it will often work with the smaller 10-32 bolt on a top cap."

Try spinning a 10-32 screw into your handle. If it fits, Rockwell sells replacement heads, caps, everything.

Do you know the thread pitch.

Apparently there are two common m5s used on razors .8 and .9

According to that link:
"Since M5x0.8 is a little larger, a handle threaded for it will often work with the smaller 10-32 bolt on a top cap."
I know my handle that I made is tapped to M5 x 0.8, which matches the original handle.

I know my handle that I made is tapped to M5 x 0.8, which matches the original handle.

If that page was right in that 10-32 will fit an m5x .8 hole, Rockwell head parts might work for you.

But it's all machined stainless, so the parts would cost more than a new Merkur.

It says $37, not $30, and I plan to use my own handle, since it's better:) I just need the head, actually just the top cap with the screw. Why buy a whole razor when all you need is the top? It's what we do here ;)
OOPS.
I don't know where I got $30? I see a 26% discount, maybe that stuck in my pea brain?
Maybe JB weld is the best choice?

If that page was right in that 10-32 will fit an m5x 8 hole, Rockwell head parts might work for you.

But it's all machined stainless, so the parts would cost more than a new Merkur.

10-32's sort of fit M5x0.8. They will thread, but won't be super tight.

10-32's sort of fit M5x0.8. They will thread, but won't be super tight.

Something like this could be an option.

It maggards head, says it's m5x.8

And the "slant" version

Something like this could be an option.

It maggards head, says it's m5x.8

And the "slant" version

First one looks good, although it's of the same construction as the Merkur, ie. pot metal.

Rockwell is offering a 20% discount on their stainless adjustable razor and free shipping. That's not too bad. I'm going to go for it. Might have to deal with a short handle again, but I can always make another one. I'll be sure to check the threads on the Rockwell.

I'm still going to fix this Merkur head, since it's in front of me. If the epoxy doesn't work, then I will drill a hole through it, tap and loctite it. Probably try to find a stainless button head screw for lower profile, and will have to make a cylinder washer to match the profile. That ought to be fun. The cap is so thin (2.3mm), that there's no room for a counterbore. Besides, the counterbore would expose the pot metal for more corrosion...

Can’t beat vintage for my money:

AFB2963C-59E7-4C94-8CCF-7517210CB88D.jpeg

Those are all 1950’s or older, back when they knew how to make a good safety razor. They’ve lasted this long and they’ll likely outlast me. The only special thing I do to them is dunk them into an IPA bath after use/cleaning. Not to sterilize them, but to dispalce water and then the alcohol just flashes off, leaving the metal dry and cool, even deep down inside the handle where the rods to the head are. No chance if corrosion ruining the body or the parts.

The one on the far right is the “fat boy” and my daily driver. Even my brush is 1950’s German military issue boar hair.

I’ve got a few straight razors, but they demand a LOT more attention than a safety razor. Both in maintenance and use.

I also have an electric, but its for quick have days and its certainly not cheap (Braun series 9, often referred to as the “Bentley” of electric shavers).

Only my straights give a cleaner shave than my safeties, but they’re just too much fuss to use every day. Special occasions sure, but not every day.

Biggest thing about straights to learn is actually the same thing about safeties: proper angle and damned near NO pressure. Mess up those points and you get one, inevitable result: blood.

Last edited:
Medieval. Twin blades are the best theoretical hair removal device. Gillette sensor 2 plus, NON-pivoting for me

Back