I file tomorrow .

Retired for two years now and still seem to not have enough time. But , I do have two kids under six and a wife that has different plans than what I was planning on doing. But I am starting to get to some of the projects that I’d had planed for years.
This may sound crazy, but I got more done for myself around the house when I was working. Maybe age has caught up with me. It seems I just don't have the desire for things I loved to do before.

This may sound crazy, but I got more done for myself around the house when I was working. Maybe age has caught up with me. It seems I just don't have the desire for things I loved to do before.
It's been about a year of "freedom" for me. I have LOTS of things to do, but wasn't getting a lot of them done. I remember asking a manager at my former workplace for some advice one time when the feces hit the rotating oscillator, "Steve, we have 5 problems in 5 areas that you say all need my immediate attention. You're a smart manager, can you tell me how I should go about managing to be in 5 places at the same time? I'm thinking I'll go work on the most important one first, get it contained/resolved, then move onto the next one. As far as I know, Human cloning is still illegal!"

I've had to do the same thing at home; have my self-generated "honey-do" list and work on the top thing until it's done or at a stopping point. Otherwise, I'd start working on something for a while, then start working on excuses to move onto something else!

Bruce

It's been about a year of "freedom" for me. I have LOTS of things to do, but wasn't getting a lot of them done. I remember asking a manager at my former workplace for some advice one time when the feces hit the rotating oscillator, "Steve, we have 5 problems in 5 areas that you say all need my immediate attention. You're a smart manager, can you tell me how I should go about managing to be in 5 places at the same time? I'm thinking I'll go work on the most important one first, get it contained/resolved, then move onto the next one. As far as I know, Human cloning is still illegal!"

I've had to do the same thing at home; have my self-generated "honey-do" list and work on the top thing until it's done or at a stopping point. Otherwise, I'd start working on something for a while, then start working on excuses to move onto something else!

Bruce
My problem has always been not completing things I start. I have at least a dozen things on the back burner. I do have to attribute some of the problem to jobs that I take in eating time up. I also find if I am doing a personal job that I am not happy with I put it aside for a while. But still think of what I intend to do to complete it. I don't have enough to do so Im in the process of bringing my 1975 Pontiac Trans Am into the garage for a motor swap and other mods. What the hell Iv'e only had it for 13 years. I don't think I will/can change now. I do have to say once my wife retired things have made it harder to find time for the things I want/need to do.

Last edited:
I delayed retirement for way too long. Self-employed, I was afraid of what would happen if the income stopped, so I kept piling savings into the separate second private pension. The COVID thing in 2020 bounced me out. Given that my retirement was delayed, I do get the benefit of the larger payout from the state pension.
BUT..
I forget who first said it to me. "However little you think you may have, you can end up with more money than time"!
I regret hanging in there for so long. I should have retired somewhat earlier.

Congrats! Enjoy it. Do stuff for yourself that you have been putting off for years.
The similar line I heard was "You can always make more money, but you can't make more time".

I recall my dad commenting to folks who were vacillating on retirement with the fear, "But I'm going to be on a fixed income!" He'd reply, "You are on a fixed income while you are working. It's not like you can say 'boss, I'd like my salary doubled'. Look at your last 3 years of bills for a snapshot of your expenses. Try to get your head out of the 'I have to keep saving money' mode, as in retirement you shouldn't/don't need to save for the future. Add up your sources of income and do the math. If work is a real stresser, understand that maybe shifting to a less-expensive lifestyle may be better for your health in the long run. If you like what you do, keep working.

Financially, I should have retired at least 5 years ago. We're in really good shape, better than we deserve. I can bore you with more details, but it'd sound more like bragging than confessing. Quick version is our income is going up as a result of me retiring. It has to, or we're going to be handing our kids a tax problem when we pass away. It'll be "found" money to them, but they'd be getting it over 10 years with a lot of it in the 32% tax bracket. We've been in the 22% bracket while working, but are going to pull out enough 401K money to put some of it in the 24% bracket. It's either pull it now at 24%, or let it set and grow so our kids are stuck pulling it and likely slipping into the 32% bracket. I was unaware that inherited 401K/IRA's need to be liquidated by the grantees within 10 years. Learned this when my mom passed away last year.

My wife has wanted a pond on our property for years. Her "dream" is to be able to throw a line in the water and catch dinner. Not being a total dumb *ss, I've told her for years to put in whatever she wants; the longer we wait, the less time we'll have to enjoy it. We've been emailing (she still works 3 days a week) sketches back and forth this morning. I can see she's having a "busy" day at work! We'll likely be going with the lower sketch; best for proximity to the house and layout of the land.

Bruce

Our 64-acres in Charlotte, MI
1673974765137.png

Upcoming "POTD" or however long it takes to dig a 17 foot deep (depth needed to stock Brook Trout) pond. We saved money for 35+ years, time to enjoy some of it!
1673974570190.png

The similar line I heard was "You can always make more money, but you can't make more time".

I recall my dad commenting to folks who were vacillating on retirement with the fear, "But I'm going to be on a fixed income!" He'd reply, "You are on a fixed income while you are working. It's not like you can say 'boss, I'd like my salary doubled'. Look at your last 3 years of bills for a snapshot of your expenses. Try to get your head out of the 'I have to keep saving money' mode, as in retirement you shouldn't/don't need to save for the future. Add up your sources of income and do the math. If work is a real stresser, understand that maybe shifting to a less-expensive lifestyle may be better for your health in the long run. If you like what you do, keep working.

Financially, I should have retired at least 5 years ago. We're in really good shape, better than we deserve. I can bore you with more details, but it'd sound more like bragging than confessing. Quick version is our income is going up as a result of me retiring. It has to, or we're going to be handing our kids a tax problem when we pass away. It'll be "found" money to them, but they'd be getting it over 10 years with a lot of it in the 32% tax bracket. We've been in the 22% bracket while working, but are going to pull out enough 401K money to put some of it in the 24% bracket. It's either pull it now at 24%, or let it set and grow so our kids are stuck pulling it and likely slipping into the 32% bracket. I was unaware that inherited 401K/IRA's need to be liquidated by the grantees within 10 years. Learned this when my mom passed away last year.

My wife has wanted a pond on our property for years. Her "dream" is to be able to throw a line in the water and catch dinner. Not being a total dumb *ss, I've told her for years to put in whatever she wants; the longer we wait, the less time we'll have to enjoy it. We've been emailing (she still works 3 days a week) sketches back and forth this morning. I can see she's having a "busy" day at work! We'll likely be going with the lower sketch; best for proximity to the house and layout of the land.

Bruce

Our 64-acres in Charlotte, MI
View attachment 434021

Upcoming "POTD" or however long it takes to dig a 17 foot deep (depth needed to stock Brook Trout) pond. We saved money for 35+ years, time to enjoy some of it!
View attachment 434019
Im not by any means a jealous guy But I am envious of your and many others on the sites property. Ive been trying to get out of where I am for twenty years. I hate it here. I am thankful for what I have but always wanted peace and quiet. But now with 6 grandchildren and one great grandchild I can never leave. Your plan sounds great. Enjoy what you've worked for.

Im not by any means a jealous guy But I am envious of your and many others on the sites property. Ive been trying to get out of where I am for twenty years. I hate it here. I am thankful for what I have but always wanted peace and quiet. But now with 6 grandchildren and one great grandchild I can never leave. Your plan sounds great. Enjoy what you've worked for.
There is something to be said about having family around; cherish them! My parents were very happy that my sister and bro-in-law raised their kids less than 2 miles from them. My wife and I raised ours 18 miles away, so still local. My dad was the "great white hunter" and spent a lot of time on our property.

We enjoy the privacy. I enjoy stepping out of my shop or any door of the house to water the lawn without worry (other than checking the direction of the wind).

Bruce

There is something to be said about having family around; cherish them! My parents were very happy that my sister and bro-in-law raised their kids less than 2 miles from them. My wife and I raised ours 18 miles away, so still local. My dad was the "great white hunter" and spent a lot of time on our property.

We enjoy the privacy. I enjoy stepping out of my shop or any door of the house to water the lawn without worry (other than checking the direction of the wind).

Bruce
Your family has been Blessed and I am very happy for you. Enjoy (I'm sure you do) every minute of it.

Last edited:
Back