I file tomorrow .

I'm officially retired. I've built about two miles of logging roads on our property in the last four years, mostly working with another "retiree" who was in my class in High School. We don't work fast, but get the job done. I have accumulated the equipment over a lifetime, so mostly it is fuel and oil for expenses. I hate to think what this would cost if I had to hire it out!

It cuts into my "play time", but I have made some progress on upgrading/repairing my machine tools. I hope to finish building roads by next fall, and from then on it will just be grading them. Then I can focus on getting my airplane back in the air (it has been sitting for over 20 years in a hangar) and spending the rainy season working in the shop.

P.S. I never expected much from Social Security, and that focused me on investments that generate income. That has been the better option, by a long shot.

Retirement is great. By the way, after you've been M.I.A. for a month or two they'll find out what you really did there. This could possibly lead to a side gig; can you say "Consultant"? And at more than you were making on the hour too!

Just make sure you have a signed purchase order to bill against. :D

Without doubt , never seen a major company that can't get their **** straight . I love what I do , and could do it in 1/5th of the time if we were organized . Not going to happen . :dunno: They don't want it to happen . Production managers hired in at 92 K with no experience ? :grin:
I file tomorrow? It’s about time.

Divorce?
Social Security?
The draft?
Taxes?
Unemployment?
:)
Happy Friday!

Retirement is great. By the way, after you've been M.I.A. for a month or two they'll find out what you really did there. This could possibly lead to a side gig; can you say "Consultant"? And at more than you were making on the hour too!

Just make sure you have a signed purchase order to bill against. :D
I bet you nailed it.

I bet you nailed it.
I did. After "management" flunked a FAA audit I got a call. Seems the bright young fresh out of school engineer they hired to take my place didn't know squat about anything in Quality Assurance. Or metrology. I quoted them a ridiculous rate and terms. They laughed at me.

They flunked a customer audit. G.E. Aircraft Engines, who their regular auditor asked why I wasn't there?

They called me back; accepting my terms and rate. Signed P.O. was hand delivered the next day.

You are going to wish you did this sooner. I more or less retired about 15 years ago, did some consulting and took a board seat to slowly transition down, now we’re spending a terrific month in an Airbnb in Oaxaca. The only problem is I miss all the shop toys…but they’ll be there when we get back.

Conhrats!!!
Will be starting my 12th year off the road in March.
Don't know how the hell I had time for a job!!
Time just seems to fly, especially when I'm in the shop.
I feel the same. Time in my home shop is priceless. I retired 18 years ago and never looked back. Jobs as we knew them then were changing rapidly, and not for the better. Consulting jobs are great and many of my friends are doing well because of them. But then there is the other group of consultants ( head hunters ) hired by the big companies to streamline the operation and the way you do your job in the name of progress. This is a very touchy subject. Whatever the case enjoy your retirement, you worked for it and in some cases paid for dearly for it. Sorry if I have offended anyone but I have a problem with someone walking in and getting 97G without lifting a tool when most of us worked our lives for 50-60-70G.

I did. After "management" flunked a FAA audit I got a call. Seems the bright young fresh out of school engineer they hired to take my place didn't know squat about anything in Quality Assurance. Or metrology. I quoted them a ridiculous rate and terms. They laughed at me.

They flunked a customer audit. G.E. Aircraft Engines, who their regular auditor asked why I wasn't there?

They called me back; accepting my terms and rate. Signed P.O. was hand delivered the next day.
I love that reality.
The bean counters don't understand the concept of experienced professionals who are basically invaluable when it comes to the technical side of the business.

Back