I file tomorrow .

Sounds like you're ready....

I work in a place with a bunch of young folks who could use better leadership (different department but I have to depend on them).

The reason they get paid so much right out of school has multiple causes. First, there aren't that many of them so anyone who's even marginally qualified is gonna get hired. Second, it costs so much more to get by these days. Think about it, those of us who already bought our homes 5, 10, 30 years ago paid much less and the values have shot through the roof. Imagine if you were just starting out (maybe with some student loan debt) and the house you wanted to buy cost $500k, vs $200k just 10 years ago. How much would you need to even have a chance?

I hope you've spent even a small part of your work life mentoring young people, it's one of the most rewarding things IMHO. For you, the company, and our world as a whole. With our hobby (your profession) you can keep doing it for years to come and have an ongoing impact. The right ones will find you and I know you'll be ready and willing to help :)

Enjoy your retirement, I'm definitely looking forward to mine in 8 more years.

John
That should make the guys that have been there 30 years worth twice as much as the guy fresh out of school, Most of these younger folks have no work ethic at all, Always on their phones, Always calling off or just not showing up. I used to work circles around them without breaking a sweat.

I always told my kids (who are finishing college now) that they need to be on time, reliable, and always do their best. So far, that has worked well for them. My daughter, who is finishing her Masters Degree in June, and has a PhD program all planned out, has avoided debt mostly by getting grants and working jobs at the University. My son, who is not as motivated, has done quite well by limiting his commitments, but religiously fulfills those commitments. My focus on their education was early on to teach them how to learn. If you master the skill of learning, you have unlimited opportunity.

I expect both of them to succeed in life simply from their work ethic, but they are both smart and organized, which gives them further advantages. The extended family is filled with people with strong work ethic, so that was the environment that they grew up in.

I always told my kids (who are finishing college now) that they need to be on time, reliable, and always do their best. So far, that has worked well for them. My daughter, who is finishing her Masters Degree in June, and has a PhD program all planned out, has avoided debt mostly by getting grants and working jobs at the University. My son, who is not as motivated, has done quite well by limiting his commitments, but religiously fulfills those commitments. My focus on their education was early on to teach them how to learn. If you master the skill of learning, you have unlimited opportunity.

I expect both of them to succeed in life simply from their work ethic, but they are both smart and organized, which gives them further advantages. The extended family is filled with people with strong work ethic, so that was the environment that they grew up in.
Yes the parents and the way they raised them up make all the difference in the world! Good job on you!

That should make the guys that have been there 30 years worth twice as much as the guy fresh out of school, Most of these younger folks have no work ethic at all, Always on their phones, Always calling off or just not showing up. I used to work circles around them without breaking a sweat.
All the 30-year veterans were once rookies. The veterans were their mentors, and they respected their mentors. One can hope that the generation in question will learn something before they are the ones that have to pass the torch. The education system has not been much help for this.

All the 30-year veterans were once rookies. The veterans were their mentors, and they respected their mentors. One can hope that the generation in question will learn something before they are the ones that have to pass the torch. The education system has not been much help for this.
Yes, But 30 or 40 years ago the younger gen had a work ethic, But hey, no one WOKE them up!

This complaining about the upcoming generation has been going on and documented for a couple thousand years at least. Continuing to do so risks identifying oneself as an old fogey past his/her/their prime. :)

This complaining about the upcoming generation has been going on and documented for a couple thousand years at least. Continuing to do so risks identifying oneself as an old fogey past his/her/their prime. :)
This may be, But I am getting tired of asking them a question and their answer is "What Happened" Uh, nothing happened except I asked you a question and it got answered with a question.

Back