I file tomorrow .

I am slowly moving out. I am only working 4 days, 36 hours going forward. Boss has to start looking for the new guy!
Pierre

If I could have worked out a reduced hours deal, I might still be working. What a great way to transition.
Working 50-60 hours a week right up to their last gasp, I will highly recommend the shock (?) of instant retirement. No more tension, no more wondering if we got that big contract, and so on. Walked out, got on my motorcycle and rode 120 miles.. Rode even further to get home the next day.

Get out as soon as you can. There's no guarantees about tomorrow.

That should make the guys that have been there 30 years worth twice as much as the guy fresh out of school, Most of these younger folks have no work ethic at all, Always on their phones, Always calling off or just not showing up. I used to work circles around them without breaking a sweat.
Get off my lawn ;)

Last edited:
So, one thing I learned watching executives come and go from the places I’ve worked.

Nobody gets paid what they deserve, earn, work for, etc. You get paid what you negotiate for.

John

I delayed retirement for way too long. Self-employed, I was afraid of what would happen if the income stopped, so I kept piling savings into the separate second private pension. The COVID thing in 2020 bounced me out. Given that my retirement was delayed, I do get the benefit of the larger payout from the state pension.
BUT..
I forget who first said it to me. "However little you think you may have, you can end up with more money than time"!
I regret hanging in there for so long. I should have retired somewhat earlier.

Congrats! Enjoy it. Do stuff for yourself that you have been putting off for years.

Yeah, these stupid and disrespectful kids...

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly, all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint".
Hesiod. 8th Century BC

Back