Where to shop for quality metal lathe tools?

Depends on what you are after. Haas offers excellent value on indexable tools. Personally, I'd stay away from Amazon and Shars if you are looking for consistently good quality. Lots of specific recommendations in this. If you're looking for measurement and workholding, have a look at my curated list here.

Thank you to all for your responses. For questions to specify my needs (@mickri, @markba633csi) - I need everything that I know and that I don't know. I am a beginner, and I have nothing. I am only finding out about my needs by reading your responses when you recommend something, and by watching videos like from BlondiHacks. I am mostly relying on this forum's help.... at least for now. Even by you saying that I need to specify the type of tool - that tells me something, too, as I did not know that there is no "one-stop-for-all".

Depends on what you are after. Haas offers excellent value on indexable tools. Personally, I'd stay away from Amazon and Shars if you are looking for consistently good quality. Lots of specific recommendations in this. If you're looking for measurement and workholding, have a look at my curated list here.
I have been raiding Haas for inserts which are frequently on sale and available in boxes of 5 vs 10. Aso Haas for center drills, chamfer mills, corner rounding bits, rough/finish end mills and this electronic edge finder part# 09-0431.

I need everything that I know and that I don't know.
I have everything that you need and everything that you don't know you need . But you still need to be a little more specific . MT size . Toolpost size . Lathe size . Give us a hint .

I have everything that you need and everything that you don't know you need . But you still need to be a little more specific . MT size . Toolpost size . Lathe size . Give us a hint .
Hmmm... it needs to be that specific? I hope I don't have to shop at different places for every single tool.

The machine still en route is PM-1022V. I'm sorry, but I can't figure out what "MT size" refers to. The tool post on that machine will be AXA quick change.

@cneuor Can I make a suggestion? Take a class at a local community college. It sounds like you know nothing, and having a machine in your garage you have no idea how to use will be dangerous. I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything, but you need to learn about machining in a structured environment, not on YouTube or a forum. I teach at a community college and am amazed how little my students know, even engineers. Please look into classes before you do anything else. It will not only teach you about machining, but will give you the knowledge about what to ask, how to ask it and what you don't know.

KBC Tools, Has bimonthly sales flyer (Kind of reminiscent of Enco) and free shipping on orders over a certain amount, varies.
Victor Machinery Exchange, lots of import stuff but usually of good quality.
McMaster Carr when you need something tomorrow and they are very reasonable on shipping.
Very good stuff. Thank you so much!

@cneuor Can I make a suggestion? Take a class at a local community college. It sounds like you know nothing, and having a machine in your garage you have no idea how to use will be dangerous. I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything, but you need to learn about machining in a structured environment, not on YouTube or a forum. I teach at a community college and am amazed how little my students know, even engineers. Please look into classes before you do anything else. It will not only teach you about machining, but will give you the knowledge about what to ask, how to ask it and what you don't know.
No offense, @ARC-170, and you're absolutely right about the value of taking a class to gain proper knowledge and skills. The only issue is that I’m no longer in my 20s and don’t have the luxury of dedicating that much time to formal learning, especially since I will never use this knowledge for a living; it's just my hobby. While I understand the risks and benefits of a structured environment, I’m trying to balance learning with other responsibilities. For now, I’m relying on forums and YouTube. That said, I do take safety very seriously and appreciate any advice on avoiding mistakes.

Hmmm... it needs to be that specific? I hope I don't have to shop at different places for every single tool.

The machine still en route is PM-1022V. I'm sorry, but I can't figure out what "MT size" refers to. The tool post on that machine will be AXA quick change.
You are a contributing member . Keep your eyes out on our for sale list when ready . I for one is selling out the shop . I don't own offshore stuff , so your budget may be an issue . For lathe tools , I have 1000s of HSS blanks as well as insert tooling . Live and dead centers etc . My number is in my signature and I'll be selling from now on . Once again , I dont own offshore stuff but am unloading 48 years of tooling .

Back