What Did You Buy Today?

Indeed. A couple of years back when I frequently visited expos around the Europe, it surprised me how slow even the most advanced industrial 3D printers were.
Injection molding is not going to be replaced by 3D printers. 3D printers are great for low quantity and custom parts, and even early prototype parts. Injection molding is going to be really hard to beat for anything in large quantities at low cost.

Last edited:
Injection molding is not going to be replaced by 3D printers. 3D printers are great for low quantity and custom parts, and eve early prototype parts. Injection molding is going to be really hard to beat for anything in large quantities at low cost.
Word.

I'm super excited about this new addition. Lufkin No. 59 15" master precision level (.0005 per 12"). I already had a Starrett 98-12 for getting things reasonably close, and a really nice E.D.A. 8" level (.0005" per 10"), but the ways on my new 16" Victor are too wide for the EDA. I didn't have a parallel long enough to span the gap to use the EDA, so I went with the 98-12 to get it close. After a couple of hours getting the lathe close (spread out over a couple of nights) I did a quick eBay search and saw this Lufkin. They had the make offer option, and this level was totally unlike anything else they had listed, so I made a lowball offer and they accepted.

It got here yesterday and I quickly checked it on the surface plate, as well as alongside the EDA and it seems to be spot on. It's interesting that in all the research I did on the No. 59 there isn't much info. Some have bases that are flat and scraped and some have a V depression. Mine has the flat, scraped base. Overall I think it's in pretty good condition...a few marks on the finish, but nothing major, so I'm happy.

Last night I set up the two levels on the lathe and got it nicely leveled much faster than I had previously....a lot easier when you don't have to move anything and the two levels are of similar sensitivity. I'll recheck in a few days. I did my surface grinder as well while I was on a roll!

View attachment 498371View attachment 498372
Nice, I got the same one from a former coworker a while back. No to get a lathe big enough that I need it....

John

A little something for an upcoming project.... Rather have it now, than need it and not have it to hand.

2" boring head with straight shank. Just need to find a decent insert boring bar to suit now as I am none-too-interested in using braized carbide given how fragile it can be.

boring head.png

Just need to find a decent insert boring bar to suit now as I am none-too-interested in using braized carbide given how fragile it can be.
I bought this set a while back. Not sure if or when it will be available again. However, my guess is like many import tools there are other brands with the identical set.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09D3BJR7M

Edit: This set looks active, but larger shank: https://www.amazon.com/iCarbide-Indexable-Boring-Inserts-Included/dp/B09D3688BX/

At first I complained about the carbide inserts being an odd standard. Closer inspection of the inserts (under a microscope) revealed a geometry I was very pleased with. After some digging they appear to be a Japanese standard-ish insert. I found several boxes of each size and basically bough a lifetime supply of them.

I have to do some carpentry and general layout work at the shop, which was a great excuse to purchase some quality marking and measuring tools from SOLA.

IMG_6547.jpeg

Hergestellt in Österreich :beer:

Last edited:
I bought this set a while back. Not sure if or when it will be available again. However, my guess is like many import tools there are other brands with the identical set.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09D3BJR7M

Edit: This set looks active, but larger shank: https://www.amazon.com/iCarbide-Indexable-Boring-Inserts-Included/dp/B09D3688BX/

At first I complained about the carbide inserts being an odd standard. Closer inspection of the inserts (under a microscope) revealed a geometry I was very pleased with. After some digging they appear to be a Japanese standard-ish insert. I found several boxes of each size and basically bough a lifetime supply of them.

That would be nice, but for the fact that is not a UK based option....

2" boring head with straight shank. Just need to find a decent insert boring bar to suit now as I am none-too-interested in using braized carbide given how fragile it can be.
I was in the same position...wanted something with inserts. I spent a lot of time reading, finally gave up and ordered a Shars kit which has worked nicely:

I was in the same position...wanted something with inserts. I spent a lot of time reading, finally gave up and ordered a Shars kit which has worked nicely:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/270409891915
Looks like those Shars use a more common standard style insert. Easier to find, but I still liked the insert geometry on the other bars better. They're very sharp out of the box due to the grind. It would be nice to do an actual performance comparison, though.

Looks like those Shars use a more common standard style insert. Easier to find, but I still liked the insert geometry on the other bars better. They're very sharp out of the box due to the grind. It would be nice to do an actual performance comparison, though.
For the Shars style if someone wants a sharper insert the TCGX style normally used for aluminum would be an option. They tend to be much sharper. In CCMT form I found the CCGX to work really well on hardened steel and for taking really fine cuts and I'd expect something similar from TXGX over TCMT

Back