What Did You Buy Today?

Might have gone to another addiction auction :DView attachment 498324 as some of you with good memories might appreciate, I’m learning how to haul lots of heavy stuff without trashing my (wife’s) car
*looks around the room* :rolleyes: We are also a tool addiction support group, you have obviously not got a sponsor yet, but we'll work on that with you. Just remember the first step is admitting you have a problem....

I used sendcutsend for the first time. Sent the file yesterday. Got notice it was done and packed today. Have a tracking number and probably shipping tomorrow. Ordered a pair of custom hook spanner wrenches, cut from 1/4" 4130 steel. Designed them to be 57mm diameter, with an 11" handle. I'll post a picture when I get them.

In that case, buy them! Take quite a while to make hundreds with just about any 3d printer. I just needed a dozen so I designed one up and printed them in two batches.
Indeed. A couple of years back when I frequently visited expos around the Europe, it surprised me how slow even the most advanced industrial 3D printers were.

I used sendcutsend for the first time. Sent the file yesterday. Got notice it was done and packed today. Have a tracking number and probably shipping tomorrow. Ordered a pair of custom hook spanner wrenches, cut from 1/4" 4130 steel. Designed them to be 57mm diameter, with an 11" handle. I'll post a picture when I get them.

I was happy when i used sendcutsend. I used the online designer and i had designed it such that the flange was less than the minimum length and they were concerned about deformation and the looks of the part - more so than i was. I was just welding them onto a 2x2 tube to make the hinge point for a grapple.

Here you can see the tabs welded to the top bar:

PXL_20240302_200951917(1).jpg

I'm super excited about this new addition. Lufkin No. 59 15" master precision level (.0005 per 12"). I already had a Starrett 98-12 for getting things reasonably close, and a really nice E.D.A. 8" level (.0005" per 10"), but the ways on my new 16" Victor are too wide for the EDA. I didn't have a parallel long enough to span the gap to use the EDA, so I went with the 98-12 to get it close. After a couple of hours getting the lathe close (spread out over a couple of nights) I did a quick eBay search and saw this Lufkin. They had the make offer option, and this level was totally unlike anything else they had listed, so I made a lowball offer and they accepted.

It got here yesterday and I quickly checked it on the surface plate, as well as alongside the EDA and it seems to be spot on. It's interesting that in all the research I did on the No. 59 there isn't much info. Some have bases that are flat and scraped and some have a V depression. Mine has the flat, scraped base. Overall I think it's in pretty good condition...a few marks on the finish, but nothing major, so I'm happy.

Last night I set up the two levels on the lathe and got it nicely leveled much faster than I had previously....a lot easier when you don't have to move anything and the two levels are of similar sensitivity. I'll recheck in a few days. I did my surface grinder as well while I was on a roll!

IMG_6370.JPGIMG_6371.JPG

I'm super excited about this new addition. Lufkin No. 59 15" master precision level (.0005 per 12"). I already had a Starrett 98-12 for getting things reasonably close, and a really nice E.D.A. 8" level (.0005" per 10"), but the ways on my new 16" Victor are too wide for the EDA. I didn't have a parallel long enough to span the gap to use the EDA, so I went with the 98-12 to get it close. After a couple of hours getting the lathe close (spread out over a couple of nights) I did a quick eBay search and saw this Lufkin. They had the make offer option, and this level was totally unlike anything else they had listed, so I made a lowball offer and they accepted.

It got here yesterday and I quickly checked it on the surface plate, as well as alongside the EDA and it seems to be spot on. It's interesting that in all the research I did on the No. 59 there isn't much info. Some have bases that are flat and scraped and some have a V depression. Mine has the flat, scraped base. Overall I think it's in pretty good condition...a few marks on the finish, but nothing major, so I'm happy.

Last night I set up the two levels on the lathe and got it nicely leveled much faster than I had previously....a lot easier when you don't have to move anything and the two levels are of similar sensitivity. I'll recheck in a few days. I did my surface grinder as well while I was on a roll!

View attachment 498371View attachment 498372
I saw one for sale at a swap meet several years ago. Seller wanted $275 for it.

Back