What Did You Buy Today?

Ordered a 20”x16”x10” electrical box to redo the VFD wiring on my mill. I currently have the VFD in an ammo can mounted to the back of the mill. I'm adding a line reactor to the incoming power to protect the drive from voltage spikes and I need a larger box to fit everything in.

are the threaded holes for it on top of your saddle or on the side? also, give him the bolt diameter.
To show my ignorance I thought they moved to different locations for optimum support.

I have to check later.

Thanks

steady rest clamps to the ways and can be placed anywhere up and down the ways. it gives support to longer work pieces and stays where you clamp it. follow rest bolts to the saddle and moves along with it. it braces the back of the work piece if it flexes from the cutting tool pushing against it. search some YouTubes. I'm no Machinist either so all of us have some level of ignorance, nothing to be ashamed of, we just need study and practice. a teacher would be the biggest benefit but no one I know has the skillset.

@yota. That is my understanding and why when you asked for bolt holes to mount it I thought it would be fixed to those locations??? I thought they have a base that goes underneath that can be moved with the mount?

What am I missing?

@yota. That is my understanding and why when you asked for bolt holes to mount it I thought it would be fixed to those locations??? I thought they have a base that goes underneath that can be moved with the mount?

What am I missing?
you're thinking of a steady rest. the photo you asked about above is a follow rest. follow rest usually has 2 supports for the work, and bolt holes. steady rest has a clamp and 3 support points.

Well, thanks to @yota, I am the proud(ish) owner of an SDR drill sharpener. Yota got a better deal than me, but I don't think my deal was "bad." The only bummer is that my chuck is a little gouged up, but it doesn't affect the overall operation of the machine. I paid $500. It was about an hour away from my house, so the wife and I had a nice drive through the countryside while we listened to a baseball game.

Attachments

• PXL_20240722_002657782.jpg
    PXL_20240722_002657782.jpg
    740.5 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20240722_002705264.jpg
    PXL_20240722_002705264.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20240722_002932190.jpg
    PXL_20240722_002932190.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 31
it looks to be in awesome shape. 500 is a good price. I think the base model new is 1600.00 or something. did you get the owner's manual? there's a bit of a procedure to using it.

Back