What Did You Buy Today?

it looks to be in awesome shape. 500 is a good price. I think the base model new is 1600.00 or something. did you get the owner's manual? there's a bit of a procedure to using it.
I did not get the manual with it, but it is available for download from the manufacturer's website.

Attachments

• Operating_Instructions_Model_80M.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
mine came with the paper manual but it's exactly what you downloaded. I watched a few YouTube's also which clarified a few things for me.

I just sold one for $150, pretty rough shape but it did sharpen. I have another one that is better condition.

@yota. That is my understanding and why when you asked for bolt holes to mount it I thought it would be fixed to those locations??? I thought they have a base that goes underneath that can be moved with the mount?

What am I missing?
I'll attach pics of the two common styles of follow rest...one bolts to the top of the saddle and straddles across it while the other bolts to the side of the saddle. Since they're mounted to the saddle they follow the cutter as it moves along the work to oppose cutting forces. A steady rest clamps to the ways and stays in one place so that you can work farther out from the chuck...think of it like a chuck extension so that the chuck is now farther away from the headstock.

Most of the Enco lathes seem to use the follow rest that bolts to the side of the saddle, like the white one below.
I went back and bought the other follow rests, but was honest with the seller and said they weren't for me so I didn't get quite as good a deal, but he was still very fair with me. I got some decent ballpark measurements but can get more accurate numbers in the next few days if someone is looking for one. I suspect these were for 12-13" lathes.

fullsizeoutput_664.jpeg

I'll attach pics of the two common styles of follow rest...one bolts to the top of the saddle and straddles across it while the other bolts to the side of the saddle. Since they're mounted to the saddle they follow the cutter as it moves along the work to oppose cutting forces. A steady rest clamps to the ways and stays in one place so that you can work farther out from the chuck...think of it like a chuck extension so that the chuck is now farther away from the headstock.

Most of the Enco lathes seem to use the follow rest that bolts to the side of the saddle, like the white one below.
I went back and bought the other follow rests, but was honest with the seller and said they weren't for me so I didn't get quite as good a deal, but he was still very fair with me. I got some decent ballpark measurements but can get more accurate numbers in the next few days if someone is looking for one. I suspect these were for 12-13" lathes.

View attachment 497650
Thanks for the help. I was out in the shop tonight and for some reason didn't check the right area. Hopefully I can get out there tomorrow.

It's been slow-going on the Clausing due to misc medical and logistical problems.
Made some progress and has improved somewhat from the way it looked a few months ago.
The ways and internals are quite nice. The rest, not so much... :)

Attachments

• clausing 6300.jpg
    clausing 6300.jpg
    978 KB · Views: 23
Nothing against the wrench you purchased, but it might be a little short for larger chucks. The same wrench came with my 13" Sheldon lathe equipped with the L00 spindle. It was difficult to use on anything larger than an 8" chuck due to the short length of the handle.

I purchased one with a longer handle from Walter A. Looks over on the Practical Machinist's bulletin board. Here's a link to the thread. Post #41 shows my original wrench and the one I purchased from Walter.

I agree wholeheartedly re the overall length and had looked at that thread when originally researching this.
Unfortunately the Clausing collar only accepts the round pin style wrenches which is limiting. My Rivett 60-series lathe has the flat-milled collar for which the PM-guy sells. Additionally, my Rivett wrench is a generous 20+ inches in length. I can always slip a length of pipe on the Williams for more oomph as needed.

went to an estate sale this morning. always feel bad but I guess it will happen to all of our stuff eventually. at least there was no widow. guys friend and co-worker was selling his stuff for the family. so much stuff. here's what I brought home.PXL_20240723_192407221.MP.jpgPXL_20240723_192703626.MP.jpgPXL_20240723_192444585.MP.jpgPXL_20240723_192424923.MP.jpg

PXL_20240723_192355507.MP.jpg

Back