What Did You Buy Today?

Since I bought the 16" Victor I've been thinking about getting a 12" 4-jaw chuck to take advantage of the larger swing. I saw one on eBay that was local pickup, and realized it's a place I stop in from time to time because they've got oddball racks and bins of stuff they've bought in bulk. I've actually gotten some good deals there. They had the best offer option on the chuck so I made a lowball $175 off and they accepted. This is a new TMX chuck that was sealed in the factory crate, with bolts, lifting eye, key, manual, etc. I figured at that price I couldn't go wrong. It actually looks pretty nice and the jaws are tight, but move smoothly.

When I was waiting for the guy to get the chuck from the back room I wandered around and looked at their rack of closeout, miscellaneous stuff and almost fell over! They had five follow rests that were NOS (shelf/paint wear) and the largest is close to what I need for the Victor. The bolt spacing is too small, but the center height is exact...like perfectly exact. I'm going to have to fabricate some hold downs that go into the holes in the base and then bolt to the apron, but I don't think that'll be too much of a challenge. There wasn't a price on it, so I said "what do you want for this?" and the guy thought for a second, said "I'll make you the deal of the week...$40!"......sold baby! He said they used to sell lathes and there was a shipment that showed up without the followers but by the time the followers showed up the lathes had all sold. I honestly feel like going back and buying the others and flipping them on eBay at a fair price since they're buried on the back shelf where they aren't likely to get noticed.

IMG_6319.JPG

I honestly feel like going back and buying the others and flipping them on eBay at a fair price since they're buried on the back shelf where they aren't likely to get noticed.
Any price that leads to an uncoerced sale is a fair price*. ;)

If you can get a good price on the rest (and let's face it they're taking up retail square footage and hardly jumpingoff the shelf into people's trolleys, so there'sa good chance you might), that's a great idea.

*no fan of capitalism, but I love me a free market, just a shame it's so rare

Since I bought the 16" Victor I've been thinking about getting a 12" 4-jaw chuck to take advantage of the larger swing. I saw one on eBay that was local pickup, and realized it's a place I stop in from time to time because they've got oddball racks and bins of stuff they've bought in bulk. I've actually gotten some good deals there. They had the best offer option on the chuck so I made a lowball $175 off and they accepted. This is a new TMX chuck that was sealed in the factory crate, with bolts, lifting eye, key, manual, etc. I figured at that price I couldn't go wrong. It actually looks pretty nice and the jaws are tight, but move smoothly.

When I was waiting for the guy to get the chuck from the back room I wandered around and looked at their rack of closeout, miscellaneous stuff and almost fell over! They had five follow rests that were NOS (shelf/paint wear) and the largest is close to what I need for the Victor. The bolt spacing is too small, but the center height is exact...like perfectly exact. I'm going to have to fabricate some hold downs that go into the holes in the base and then bolt to the apron, but I don't think that'll be too much of a challenge. There wasn't a price on it, so I said "what do you want for this?" and the guy thought for a second, said "I'll make you the deal of the week...$40!"......sold baby! He said they used to sell lathes and there was a shipment that showed up without the followers but by the time the followers showed up the lathes had all sold. I honestly feel like going back and buying the others and flipping them on eBay at a fair price since they're buried on the back shelf where they aren't likely to get noticed.

View attachment 497468
no stores like that around here. in fact, I don't think I've seen any nice machining stuff ever in any kind of shop in Florida, other than indicators and smalls. pretty much have to find stuff on Marketplace or ebay.

That place sounds amazing! You could probably make a nice margin buying stuff there an putting it on eBay if they have deals like that.

That place sounds amazing! You could probably make a nice margin buying stuff there an putting it on eBay if they have deals like that.
the problem with that is ebay takes like 30% and files your profit with the IRS for taxes if I'm not mistaken.

the problem with that is ebay takes like 30% and files your profit with the IRS for taxes if I'm not mistaken.
My wife has had an eBay business for years (winding down now) so I'm pretty familiar with the basics. Their cut is actually 13.25% for the kinds of things we're talking about. They don't figure out profit, since they don't know what you've paid for something. They report gross sales to the IRS above a certain threshold, but for someone selling a handful of things per year it really doesn't matter and isn't reportable income any more than a garage sale would be. My wife does everything by the book, pays income tax on profits, etc and uses an accountant to make sure there are no mistakes. Just because you get a 1099 doesn't mean it's reportable income (sometimes yes, sometimes no).

View attachment 497468
If they have one that would work on my 12" Enco I would be interested.

Back