What Did You Buy Today?

Looks like I'm not the only one with dr doctor issues. Bought mine maybe 15 + years ago. Never could get it to sharpen well. Watched all the videos trying the suggested methods and finally gave up.

New welder day. The new EVO20 line from Jasic. Got a MIG and a TIG AC/DC Pulse. Both machines are 200A max

The TIG is tiny in comparison with the MIG.
c7bee8ee1b614cedc571017201fb1248.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

I bought a Irwin Hanson 3/8 24 tap and die. I had a very old set of clean up taps SEA and Metric for 30+ years that served me well. I really never had to do holes or male threads from scratch. My auto and motorcycles did not require new holes. Now that I have a mill and lathe. I find that these old tools do not do well. The taps are blunt and do not start very well in steel. The dies have no taper to start new threads. I bought the new stuff and the job I was struggling with took all of 5 minutes at most. Do any of you have a recommendation for a Brand and set for a new purchase? Not a $500 dollar set.

I bought a Irwin Hanson 3/8 24 tap and die. I had a very old set of clean up taps SEA and Metric for 30+ years that served me well. I really never had to do holes or male threads from scratch. My auto and motorcycles did not require new holes. Now that I have a mill and lathe. I find that these old tools do not do well. The taps are blunt and do not start very well in steel. The dies have no taper to start new threads. I bought the new stuff and the job I was struggling with took all of 5 minutes at most. Do any of you have a recommendation for a Brand and set for a new purchase? Not a $500 dollar set.
Unless you have deep pockets, I recommend just buying sizes as they are needed. Buy high speed steel (HSS) taps and dies, not the cheaper carbon or tool steel ones. The HSS taps and dies stay sharper much longer, and cut much better.

totally agree. I have some pretty nice US made tap & die sets (SAE and metric) that have served me well for years, but don't cut it anymore. now messing with machine work is why I bought this old set, which I posted on here earlier.
PXL_20240520_150158573.MP.jpg

I have a Drill Doctor 750X, which I'm not excited about. I had been eye-balling the Vevor version of the one you got, did a lot of reading and watching vids on it, they look like a much better design than the plastic Drill Doctor units. after much YouTubing I ended up getting a used US made, probably 20 or more year-old TDR (used to be SRD) drill grinder from Ebay at a great price (they're very expensive new). has a Baldor motor and came with a case of 6 new grinding stones. does drills up to 13/16" and the company is still in business. some of you will remember I bought 2 lots of mostly US made drill bits a month or 2 ago, posted on this forum. I sharpened about 100 of them in the last 2 weeks. have never had re-sharpened bits work as well as this. doesn't do split points but it does have a thinning the web setting that is very similar. it's also much quicker and easier to use than the 750X. resharpened both 135- and 118-degree bits. has a bunch of angle settings.

View attachment 497335

@yota Can I ask how much you paid for that sharpener? I just looked at eBay and ironically there is one listed about 40 miles away from me and the guy says "prefer local pickup."

@yota Can I ask how much you paid for that sharpener? I just looked at eBay and ironically there is one listed about 40 miles away from me and the guy says "prefer local pickup."
$405.00. just make sure it has the chuck. I see a lot for sale without one. the chucks run 200.00 or more used on ebay and a lot more than that new from the manufacturer.

Okay, it's possible I might have got the maths wrong here, and if I have, apologies, and if you're being ironic, well, use some emojiis, that's what they're there for. ;)

If not though...

...don't be daft. :grin:

Now, I'll grant 0.0001" over an inch might not be adequate for some people. However, on a mini lathe, with for most people, a practical work envelope of at most 14" (and usually a fair bit less), that would mean a taper of about a thou and a half over the length of the maximum work envelope , which is likely to be fine for most work done on such a lathe.

But you're actually saying, for example, 0.0001" over 40" should be unacceptable to everyone or even 0.00005" (a teensy bit more than 1 micron) over 40".

Put it back in yer pants and stop willy-waving, mate! :grin::grin::grin:

$405.00. just make sure it has the chuck. I see a lot for sale without one. the chucks run 200.00 or more used on ebay and a lot more than that new from the manufacturer.
I've made several, pain in the butt though.

Back