What Did You Buy Today?

23b or c those are some odd ones for sure. I was pretty stoked all these ones are branded hardinge us made, news or Lyndex Japanese or a few fowler ones made in Germany. Need to clean them up a bit but figure for what I paid for the lathe and tooling there is that much worth just in tooling. Basically a free lathe...hahahahahah. At leat that's what I tell the wife. I picked up a really nice condition dv59 as well too for 250 bucks for a parts machine has a brand new coolant pump and a perfect condition collet closer which I need the bearing and handle off of. 500 volt but I'm just taking parts off it and giving the machine body and stand to a buddy that wants it.

Warning /rant mode: on/

Was looking for pain thinner. You know, the old school stuff. Actual mineral spirits.

Sherwin Williams store, local 'kids' behind the counter walk me over to the shelf and point out the plastic jug 'Paint Thinner'. Also asked for a couple of gallon steel pain cans. They had cans, but were out of lids! Their answer was "We only have cans. People have been buying lots of lids". Well order more lids! (Apparently, this is rocket science!)

Just about to buy my two quart cans with lids, and I start reading the back of the jug of 'pain thinner'. Which, I can hardly read, as the fine print is so fine it's almost unreadable...
Not Intended.jpg
Right on the back. Not intended to be used as a thinner. WTH!!!!!!
Front of the jug says "Paint Thinner", back of the jug in fine print it says "Not Paint Thinner".
This garbage is brush cleaner!

So I use a couple of four letter words at the clerks behind the counter, and explain, that I'm trying to thin oil based paint. I need PAINT THINNER! The girl behind the counter says to the other high school kid, "Go grab a gallon of the industrial paint thinner from the back".
He does, and comes back with a gallon of mineral spirits.
His comment is "We're only supposed to sell the other stuff. This is for industrial uses only".
I tell him, I'm painting steel I beams. That's Industrial.

The plastic jug of pain thinner was something like $39.
Two quart steel cans (Plus lids), and the steel gallon can of mineral spirits was $35 total. Cheaper than just the brush cleaner garbage.

ThisVsThat.jpg

The bottom line is, without reading the fine print, loosing my cool and using four letter words, I would have screwed up most of a gallon of paint.

Warning /rant mode: off/

Warning /rant mode: on/

Was looking for pain thinner. You know, the old school stuff. Actual mineral spirits.

Sherwin Williams store, local 'kids' behind the counter walk me over to the shelf and point out the plastic jug 'Paint Thinner'. Also asked for a couple of gallon steel pain cans. They had cans, but were out of lids! Their answer was "We only have cans. People have been buying lots of lids". Well order more lids! (Apparently, this is rocket science!)

Just about to buy my two quart cans with lids, and I start reading the back of the jug of 'pain thinner'. Which, I can hardly read, as the fine print is so fine it's almost unreadable...
View attachment 497114
Right on the back. Not intended to be used as a thinner. WTH!!!!!!
Front of the jug says "Paint Thinner", back of the jug in fine print it says "Not Paint Thinner".
This garbage is brush cleaner!

So I use a couple of four letter words at the clerks behind the counter, and explain, that I'm trying to thin oil based paint. I need PAINT THINNER! The girl behind the counter says to the other high school kid, "Go grab a gallon of the industrial paint thinner from the back".
He does, and comes back with a gallon of mineral spirits.
His comment is "We're only supposed to sell the other stuff. This is for industrial uses only".
I tell him, I'm painting steel I beams. That's Industrial.

The plastic jug of pain thinner was something like $39.
Two quart steel cans (Plus lids), and the steel gallon can of mineral spirits was $35 total. Cheaper than just the brush cleaner garbage.

View attachment 497115

The bottom line is, without reading the fine print, loosing my cool and using four letter words, I would have screwed up most of a gallon of paint.

Warning /rant mode: off/
This is why I always have a stock of at least some Cellulose thinnner and D-Thinner to hand, usually a gallon can of each, along with the same quantity of White Spirit, Methylated spirit, Turps and IPA.

Thinking on it, I buy most things by the gallon, Even real Ale when I am out I drink a gallon!

Last edited:
I get the real stuff at home Depot or Lowe's. You do have to read. But it changes all the time.
They no longer have zinsser sanding sealer in stock. And to boot its labeled hazardous on some web sites. It's used as a coating on pills, not sure why it's hazardous. It's dewaxed shellac.

This is why I always have a stock of at least some Cellulose thinnner and D-Thinner to hand,
Until your stock runs out, and you need to replenish it. That's when you learn the "Low VOC" movement has hacked away at the retail chain to the point you can't get what you used to buy...

Thinking on it, I buy most things by the gallon, Even real Ale when I am out I drink a gallon!
After that, the gallon of Ale would have been appropriate! lol.

Back