What Did You Buy Today?

Another LBC (Little British Car)
1962 Austin Healy Sprite.

View attachment 496724

Will start a thread in the right place soon.

John
An ex-girlfriend's father had 3 of these in various stages of restoration (he also had 4 French, boat tailed style 30s cars of various makes; those were his real love).

And yeah, the one that was completely pre-restoration was light enough for him, my ex and me to lift.

I remember it specifically because someone had scratched a very large 'canonical' schoolboy-drawn-style* phallus into the bonnet ('hood' to our American brothers) paintwork and I struggled to contain my sniggering when I saw it.:big grin:

* @GrifterGuru will know what I mean by this!:grin:

An ex-girlfriend's father had 3 of these in various stages of restoration (he also had 4 French, boat tailed style 30s cars of various makes; those were his real love).

And yeah, the one that was completely pre-restoration was light enough for him, my ex and me to lift.

I remember it specifically because someone had scratched a very large 'canonical' schoolboy-drawn-style* phallus into the bonnet ('hood' to our American brothers) paintwork and I struggled to contain my sniggering when I saw it.:big grin:

* @GrifterGuru will know what I mean by this!:grin:

Oh, I know what you mean alright.. I was never guilty of that particular trend though, I was more interested in being oily, greasy and "on-the-spannners" than I was anything else.

Did not help that by 12y/o I was in the garage most days beginning of the restoration of a 1935 MG PA with my late step father.

That sort-of lead into my taking on a 1956 GPO bike as a resto at 15 and from there, stayed restoring bike right up to the present day, though the bikes got to be rather "expensive" being that they are Original MK1 or MK2 Raleigh Choppers and of the "rarer" variety of those (5 speed / 10 speed / Tall Frame mk1s, Pinky, Sprint, and very early production mk2s).

I promise I'm not being a safety nazi, just wondering. Is that car really light enough for what looks like a snowmobile trailer? Maybe no engine/trans?
Plenty light enough for it. But it's not my trailer, just borrowing from the previous owner until it get it home. Having owned a shop in Northern Michigan I'm plenty familiar with snowmobiles and their trailers. I don't like how he tied it down so will fix that before I take it home. Right now it's at work just down the street from where he had it advertised for sale.

John

I've carried a Leatherman Wave knife/ multitool since Leatherman first introduced the Wave... maybe '97 or '98...?

I have probably 6 or 8 that I have thoroughly worn out... or damaged beyond use.

Today my wife and I were browsing through an antique store and I found two Waves in excellent condition with new nylon sheaths...

20240712_210351.jpg

...$35 each...

I'll put these up until I wear my current knife out.

-Bear

I picked up another project to put in the que today... it was advertised as being 'free'...

I contacted the owner and drove up to Knoxville, TN (about 3½ hours each way) and brought it home today.

It's a 1917 Hendey 16x6 lathe with a drive-all gearbox...

20240713_160730.jpg

I backed it into the shop and began to unload it, but was called away on a family emergency... it will be probably Monday morning before I'll have a chance to unload it and evaluate it.

Otherwise, I really don't know much about it except it seems to be in fairly good condition, partially disassembled, but I think all the parts are there.

-Bear

I picked up another project to put in the que today... it was advertised as being 'free'...

I contacted the owner and drove up to Knoxville, TN (about 3½ hours each way) and brought it home today.

It's a 1917 Hendey 16x6 lathe with a drive-all gearbox...

View attachment 496942

I backed it into the shop and began to unload it, but was called away on a family emergency... it will be probably Monday morning before I'll have a chance to unload it and evaluate it.

Otherwise, I really don't know much about it except it seems to be in fairly good condition, partially disassembled, but I think all the parts are there.

-Bear
That is a sweet old piece of iron. The old stuff is just so much seller then new machines.

@Dhal22

Might want to watch this. Might be painful to some, but it is interesting...

All time stamps for Yost Vice:

7:38
12:36
13:48
20:02
30:55
34:53

Last edited:
Well, the Victor has landed! Picked it up yesterday and got it unloaded in the late afternoon....6 hours of driving total, so not too bad. When I got there I was thrilled to see that the seller found more than what was in the auction pictures. He found the steady rest, spindle sleeve, metric change gears, an 8" 3-jaw chuck, a live center, lantern tool post, MT4 adapter, bed clamp for the taper attachment and some tools/tool holders and a stack of vibration absorbing pads (steel on one side, dense rubber on the other).

After unloading I generally looked it over, confirmed the voltage configuration on the motor and put power to it. All of the speeds/feeds/functions work as they should, the ways look fantastic and the dials/handles all have very little backlash. It sounds quiet, the brake works and overall I'm pretty thrilled! It does need new drive belts as the originals are pretty rough.

I quickly cleaned and mounted the 3-Jaw chuck which is marked Victor made in Japan, threw a 1" ground rod in it and a put a tenths indicator on it....002" runout. I rotated the ground rod 120 degrees and checked again and it was more like .0015" runout. This is a direct-mount chuck with no adjustability, so I'm pretty impressed with it.

I gave it 30-45 minutes worth of cleaning and found something surprising....the factory plastic covers were still on all the dial faces! Oil got behind the plastic so they looked weird...pulled off the plastic, wiped down the dials and they're cleaning up beautifully. I still have hours worth of cleaning ahead of me, and I plan to drain/refill the headstock, but that's all easy. First thing is to fit the Aloris CXA I have for it, do a quick level and try a few cuts to see what I'm working with.

The owner was there when I picked it up...super nice older gentleman who had a couple of barns full of steam powered stuff. He said his friend owned a Massey Ferguson dealership and bought this lathe new. He would use it there from time to time, and loved it, so when the dealer retired, he bought the lathe and it's been in his shop ever since making parts for his steam projects. It's marked 1976. I'll need to find a follow rest and hopefully a micrometer carriage stop, but I should be able to use it pretty much today if needed. Fingers crossed it performs like I suspect it will.

IMG_6282.JPG

With just a bit of cleaning:
fullsizeoutput_653.jpegIMG_6284.JPG

Back