What Did You Buy Today?

Forgive me I I do not accept your brush off; but you are now in the land of miss information and bad advice kills people, Compressed fluids are dangerous/deadly even at lower pressures.

When were you in the industry, and which industry are we discussing? I am a Sr. Piping Designer, a process guy with +42 years In "the industry," I have worked Refining, Aerospace, Water systems, Industrial Gas (both compressed, 30" Vac to 15K PSI, and cryogenic, Ambient temps to +/- Neg 490 degrees F) Production Chemical, Exploration, etc... and what I told you has been a fact for the time I have been in the industry and we didn't simply invent it 40+ years ago.

Words have meaning, there is a substantial and defining difference between a pressure regulator and a Pressure switch, word have meaning.

The term de-rating Pressure is an actual term we use when an inspection reveals a problem with a piece of equipment and we have it in an ASME shop so we affix a "R" stamp to it if it is to remain in service to "de-rate the original pressure".

What I stated was the terms we used at the time and we knew what we meant when we used them. It was not a "brush off" as you put it.

As for de-rating, one (of many possible) definitions is "When a system or component is operated at a level below its headline rating to meet safety, thermal, reliability or longevity requirements"

When I acquired an older two stage 80 gal compressor from a customer I decided to de-rate it by replacing the pressure switch and relief valve.

I did this for safety, and because I didn’t need 175 psi for anything I was running. I got advice and parts from the local compressor service company and was happy with the results.

The air pressure regulator remained the same.

This is definitely one of those areas like electricity that we should be very cautious about giving, or taking advise. Stored energy can be deadly.

John

When I acquired an older two stage 80 gal compressor from a customer I decided to de-rate it by replacing the pressure switch and relief valve.

I did this for safety, and because I didn’t need 175 psi for anything I was running. I got advice and parts from the local compressor service company and was happy with the results.

The air pressure regulator remained the same.

This is definitely one of those areas like electricity that we should be very cautious about giving, or taking advise. Stored energy can be deadly.

John
Correct, You chose to reduce your operating pressures, its like owning an exotic car and never exceeding 55MPH... I agree with you last statment 100%, be safe.

picked up some more MT bits, an MT1 to MT4 adaptor so I can use my MT1 collection in my new MT4 tailstock and an old live center for my spindle, should I want to turn between tapers. love old steel.

View attachment 496712View attachment 496713
you don't use a live center in your spindle. You use a dead center. There's no point in using a live center, and it's less rigid than a dead center.

There's no point in using a live center, and it's less rigid than a dead center.
?? I'll buy this if you are talking only about the use of centers in the spindle, for turning between centers.

This is definitely one of those areas like electricity that we should be very cautious...
I would argue this area (compressed air) is actually far more dangerous than electricity! A failed electrical component (typical of those in our homes or shops) won't propel metal at you like a failed pressure tank.

Didn't someone here buy a hydrotesting rig for pressure tanks recently?

did not know that. have not done it yet.
It's not useless. You could use it (in the spindle) with another live center (in the tailstock) to use your lathe as Bench Centers. You might want to indicate a workpiece (like the throw length of a crankshaft or the straightness of a crankshaft or camshaft) while rotating it by hand. YMMV

Back