What Did You Buy Today?

tach1.png
Neat, I have the same one - super handy, and I find myself reaching for it more often than a laser tach

Neat, I have the same one - super handy, and I find myself reaching for it more often than a laser tach

Similar but different:

View attachment 495583

Batteries not included (and not required).

I decided it was time to invest. Better something that works without sparks (electric) or baby sparks (batteries). Useful for multiple things, rather than jst one single thing.

Mainly, I am curious what the RPM of my lathe spindlew is at the speed I find I can comfortably turn Ally to a quality finish. Machine has a port for an "add on" spindle tach, but I am not paying the excessive (£143 GBP + Postage on top !!!!) for the tach display! Robbing sods that the supplier are.. I could get it from AllyX for £55 GBP if I really wanted it. Just shows how the supplier is putting a £90 GBP premium on top which, as far as I am concerned, is utterly dispicable. £10 -£15 GBP on top? Maybe. £90 GBP?? HELL NO!

@FliesLikeABrick

Do you have the "destruction" Instruction sheet for yours? This one is lacking it and I would like to know what NOT to do (even though it seems obvious).

A ratcheting tap wrench 1/16 - 1/4”
Made in Germany
Cheaper than a Starret 93B
I had an unbranded version of this that I picked up decades ago. I think I used it once and realized that the convenience of being able to make small rotations if there wasn't room for the handle to turn was quickly outweighed by the inconvenience of having to reverse the ratcheting mechanism to back off and break the chip. I finally sold it earlier this year on FBMP.

I had an unbranded version of this that I picked up decades ago. I think I used it once and realized that the convenience of being able to make small rotations if there wasn't room for the handle to turn was quickly outweighed by the inconvenience of having to reverse the ratcheting mechanism to back off and break the chip. I finally sold it earlier this year on FBMP.

@ChazzC The Tap handle @koenbro has purchased has a Forward / Static / Reverse 3 position switch to it. Leave the switch in the middle and you have a "dead" handle that can be rotated either way, therefor allowing you to tap, then cut, then tap et-al. From the looks of it in the image, it is set in the "reverse" direction.

@ChazzC The Tap handle @koenbro has purchased has a Forward / Static / Reverse 3 position switch to it. Leave the switch in the middle and you have a "dead" handle that can be rotated either way, therefor allowing you to tap, then cut, then tap et-al. From the looks of it in the image, it is set in the "reverse" direction.

Exactly. The position in the photo is reverse. Middle is solid.

The main reason I bought it is that it accepts much smaller taps than the Starrett 93B which is also a recent purchase. The ratchet is a bonus.

f2395c1fcd080e6ffe11a2d6f1f52098.jpg

Mine also had a center position, but didn’t lock rotation tightly, so I didn’t see any advantage.

Back