What Did You Buy Today?

Exactly. The position in the photo is reverse. Middle is solid.

The main reason I bought it is that it accepts much smaller taps than the Starrett 93B which is also a recent purchase. The ratchet is a bonus.

f2395c1fcd080e6ffe11a2d6f1f52098.jpg

That I can understand, but that’s why I have the 93A, B & C

be2ae91ff1f5544ca928788ad97ab78e.jpg

A ratcheting tap wrench 1/16 - 1/4”
Made in Germany
Cheaper than a Starret 93B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Looks like a nice tool! Being versatile enough to reach down to a 16th is very cool. Should serve you well.

Went to use a 1" O/D die I recently purchased and realised I did not have a die spanner for it.. DOH! Anyway, got the job done using an old hack I know (Not gonna spill that info, lest to say it would be highly frowned upon). Sometimes, you just have to laugh at yourself for thinking you have all the tools you need for a job only to find out that you don't, at exactly the time you need the tool you do not have!

Gave in and ordered a die spanner so at last I have it for when I need it again.

die spanner.png

Went to use a 1" O/D die I recently purchased and realised I did not have a die spanner for it.. DOH! Anyway, got the job done using an old hack I know (Not gonna spill that info, lest to say it would be highly frowned upon). Sometimes, you just have to laugh at yourself for thinking you have all the tools you need for a job only to find out that you don't, at exactly the time you need the tool you do not have!

Gave in and ordered a die spanner so at last I have it for when I need it again.

View attachment 495812
Watch out for signs of cracking. The central casting is typically weak. They can let go on you, at least mine did. Someday I'll make a decent one, or get lucky and find an old solid steel one. For this one, make sure you have a good sharp die and the stock is the correct diameter.

Watch out for signs of cracking. The central casting is typically weak. They can let go on you, at least mine did. Someday I'll make a decent one, or get lucky and find an old solid steel one. For this one, make sure you have a good sharp die and the stock is the correct diameter.

Brand new die, so sharp as sharp could be ;) Only be using it once, then in the cubby it goes to claim space and hide, never to be used again.

20240706_131456.jpg

The inevitable Chinese set of telescoping bore gauges (as always, needing a disassembly, a clean and a bit of fettling to be smooth-working)

and a Mitutoyo inside mic bought for £50-odd. It's been dropped at some point (the knurled thumbscrew cap on the stop is bent but the screw still seems straight) and I'll need to disassemble to check if there are any further problems but other than the bent thumbscrew cap, it's relatively tidy and moves perfectly smoothly. Obviously I'll need to adjust the zero.

Oh yeah, and this:

20240706_132613.jpg

Bit of an ugly duckling (the top is my work post-purchase; the original hardboard top was rotten in places and two bits of narrow 1/2" ply were all I had, and I'm not spending money to make a cosmetic improvement to this thing! :grin:) but orher than the top, it's solid (a fair bit heavier than it looks, I embarrassed myself a bit getting it into the back of the car!) and all the drawers move nicely, and it's narrow enough to fit into the space I have planned. Cost £30.

View attachment 495815

The inevitable Chinese set of telescoping bore gauges (as always, needing a disassembly, a clean and a bit of fettling to be smooth-working)

and a Mitutoyo inside mic bought for £50-odd. It's been dropped at some point (the knurled thumbscrew cap on the stop is bent but the screw still seems straight) and I'll need to disassemble to check if there are any further problems but other than the bent thumbscrew cap, it's relatively tidy and moves perfectly smoothly. Obviously I'll need to adjust the zero.
Have you disassembled the telescoping gauges yet? If you know how to do that can you share that information. Mine work, but could be smoother. I have partially disassembled one, but couldn't figure out how to remove everything and didn't want to force it. There's something that needs to be done, a step that I'm missing.

I do know that using them takes practice to get decent repeatable measurements.

View attachment 495815

Those telescoping gauges from where I think they are?

If they are, I already hade mine apart, fettled and put back together...

Mitutoyo Micrometers.... Must be a bug in the system, I just dropped on a 0.0001" 0"-1" combimike and a 0.0001" 1"-2" combimike micrometer. That was a big ouch, but worth it for my sanity.

Those telescoping gauges from where I think they are?

If they are, I already hade mine apart, fettled and put back together...

Mitutoyo Micrometers.... Must be a bug in the system, I just dropped on a 0.0001" 0"-1" combimike and a 0.0001" 1"-2" combimike micrometer. That was a big ouch, but worth it for my sanity.
It seems you've had the gauges apart. What's the basic process? I wasn't able to totally disassemble mine easily. Is there a magic trick? Perhaps I was too gentle - applied too much mechanical empathy?

Back