What Did You Buy Today?

Popped over to Oxted in Kent yesterday. Lovely 45 minute drive in the (finally) warm June sunshine along some nice windy roads (would have been even nicer in my little BMW but that's gone to the part ex in the sky and I'm left with a little Ford Puma; the new Puma, not the old one).

Came away with these two Abwood vices (6" and 4") for £80 and change:

20240624_201233.jpg

They need a bit of cosmetic cleaning up and the swivel bases will go in a cupboard for a nice rest!

There's one small (approx 1/8") 'mark of shame' on the bed of the 6" but no other damage and the 4" is pretty much pristine.

The one downside with the 6" is that there's a very slight bend to the leadscrew. I spotted it when I got home and worked the handle, there's a little bit of regular resistance on every turn; not even stiffness, just resistance. I've had the leadscrew and pillow bearing off and the leadscrew won't quite slip out of the pillow bearing; it gets so far down the thread and then won't move any further. I've had a square on the thread of the leadscrew and I can only just determine a bend.

I don't know if this matters or not; guess it might as that resistance will wear on the brass nut.

Any suggestions for straightening the leadscrew (if it's possible or advisable even to attempt) gratefully received. :)

The 4" is buttery smooth and probably more size-appropriate to my Warco Minor mill (Taiwanese RF 25 clone) but the jaws only open to 2 and 3/4" whereas the 6" opens to about 5". I'll probably see how I get on with the 4" as that has the slightly better functional condition of the two.

that really sucks. my house has a surge protection system provided and installed by the power company that was put in by the previous owner for like 8 dollars a month. so far, 6 years no problems knock on wood. however, a power company service truck stopped by not long ago for another issue and the head guy in the truck told me the systems are not that effective. we get a lot of heavy lightning in the summers.

inspired by one of Discodan's pics on here, and by all the drill bits I bought :rolleyes:, I picked up a couple of old cast drill indexes from ebay. one for fractional and one for numbered. lightly touched the numbers and machined surfaces with fine steel wool to bring back the color. and sharpened all the fractional drills for good measure.

PXL_20240625_221200707.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Let's add to this the AC quit too. Control board has blown inputs.
Thinking yet another lightning hit over the weekend.

Can we redo this week? It's only Tuesday, but I want to start over!
Well, not done yet. Water heater just dropped out!

I'm beginning to run out of four letter combinations...

Well, not done yet. Water heater just dropped out!

I'm beginning to run out of four letter combinations...
Must something in the air… our 18 month old fridge stopped working… kept tripping the breaker…

I had to drink all the beer left in the small fridge in the garage, to move things over. Not going to deal with this right now…

Must something in the air… our 18 month old fridge stopped working… kept tripping the breaker…

I had to drink all the beer left in the small fridge in the garage, to move things over. Not going to deal with this right now…
Don't you live in the lightning capital of the world down there???

I'm in a snow belt. We're not supposed to get lightning! Lol.

Don't you live in the lightning capital of the world down there???

I'm in a snow belt. We're not supposed to get lightning! Lol.

I do! Completely forgot to install one of those surge protectors... of course I bought one after the fridge went bad. Well, bought two. So I can install one on the beer fridge.

But I think that the defrost heater went bad... Fridge will run and cool everything fine for about 1/2 or 1 hour and then trip the breaker... I changed the breaker (this is on a dedicated 20amp circuit), I moved the fridge to a 30 amp circuit, even used an extension... and I do not want to use a non GFCI breaker...

So I will take my time over the weekend and troubleshoot the sucker...

Back