What Did You Buy Today?

Just curious: Tufnol - glass or fabric (Micarta) laminate? In the 90’s I worked with a company that manufactured a range of composites (fiberglass/acrylic, carbon fiber & Asbestos).
I've found a few bits with 'carp', 'kite' and 'whale' written on them, so cotton laminate, I'd say (animal names seem an odd way to categorise the technical grading of your products but Tufnol was developed by Brummies and they have a rather odd sense of humour :grin:).

I've found a few bits with 'carp', 'kite' and 'whale' written on them, so cotton laminate, I'd say (animal names seem an odd way to categorise the technical grading of your products but Tufnol was developed by Brummies and they have a rather odd sense of humour :grin:).

Maybe they meant the following:

Carp = Re-arrange the middle letters / Rough or Scale-like when machined?
Kite = Light? Strong?
Whale = Oily? Heavy?

6d3a1938e1beb73cf5684fc463537b96.jpg

a47d7195d5d8be7512e55c1f8c7d2f7b.jpg

An Accusize key slot broaching kit, inch. as seen in Blondiehacks’ video. From Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe more like Phenolic?
Most are Phenolic resin based (or some exotic thermoset resin). Both Micarta (fabric, typically linen, but also paper and canvas) and the carbon-fiber material we made use phenolic resins that contained volatiles, but when we moved the operation and couldn't take the lay-up lines with us, we outsourced the material to a paper company in New York who used water-based resins. Due to the processing time requirements we had to air freight the laminate sheets to the UK so they could be pressed into finished sheets while "fresh."

Phenolic resins can also be molded into intricate shapes, either without any binder or with powdered binders or fine chopped strand glass (or Asbestos – there was a military part that required an exotic resin that we had to grind with Dry Ice then blend with fine Asbestos so that it could be fed into an injection molding machine; only made them once a year, and we were never told what they were used for). More conventional material was used for Patriot Missile bodies, Caterpillar Steering Clutches and Polaris (RV's, not missiles or subs) brake pad insulators.

Last edited:
(or some exotic thermoset resin)
A few years ago we did a bank job;) Where we backed the teller lines with 9mm± reinforced resin sheets claimed to stop a 45 at close range. Clear-ish resin with layers of white fabric. No idea what it was made of.

Back