What Did You Buy Today?

A bit OT, but still substantial cash out of pocket. This last week I had to break down and buy a new set of tires for the Expedition. The originals had a little less than 50,000 miles on them, but they were never very good in snow, sand, or any off-road situation. I preferred the General Grabber ATX like the ones on the Jeep, but unfortunately, they don't make them in the 285-45/R22 size. I ended up with another set of Hankook's for $1,250.00. This time they're the DynaPro AT2 Extreme's. They've only been on a couple days but have seen snow and don't seem to be afraid of it like the DynaPro HTs were.

It seems like tires are a never-ending expense around here. This year I've had to buy tries for the wife's car and my truck. The wife's car only got 26,000 miles on a set that were supposed to go 60,000 miles. Fortunately, I complained to the dealer, and they agreed to pick up 60% of the cost. Still, it was another $800.00 out of pocket. Since 2022 I've also had to buy 4 new tires for the little JD, ($450.00) 6 for the motorhome, ($4,200.00) 4 for the Jeep, ($775.00) and 4 for the trailer, ($520.00). Now you know why my tool budget is nonexistent.

I feel your pain. I buy from Tire Rack or Walmart and get them delivered to a Walmart or the like to install them. It's usually around $25 to 35 per tire to install. You can save quite a considerable amount of money do it that way, though it does take longer and more work.

A bit OT, but still substantial cash out of pocket. This last week I had to break down and buy a new set of tires for the Expedition. The originals had a little less than 50,000 miles on them, but they were never very good in snow, sand, or any off-road situation. I preferred the General Grabber ATX like the ones on the Jeep, but unfortunately, they don't make them in the 285-45/R22 size. I ended up with another set of Hankook's for $1,250.00. This time they're the DynaPro AT2 Extreme's. They've only been on a couple days but have seen snow and don't seem to be afraid of it like the DynaPro HTs were.

It seems like tires are a never-ending expense around here. This year I've had to buy tries for the wife's car and my truck. The wife's car only got 26,000 miles on a set that were supposed to go 60,000 miles. Fortunately, I complained to the dealer, and they agreed to pick up 60% of the cost. Still, it was another $800.00 out of pocket. Since 2022 I've also had to buy 4 new tires for the little JD, ($450.00) 6 for the motorhome, ($4,200.00) 4 for the Jeep, ($775.00) and 4 for the trailer, ($520.00). Now you know why my tool budget is nonexistent.
I don’t know on the truck we have https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...KO2V3&ef_id=ZW1J@gAAAF7z5RUy:20231204033938:s that got before 2020 for 220$ each and they still have life in them. They have done so far 80k. On the Subaru we did on stock tires 110k so far so good knock on wood. Just when you buy tire make sure they are the same year of manufacture.

Tim

Bought some end mills from an engineer that had retired. All new apart from 1 or 2 that are slightly used. £20 for all of them. They seem good quality. Vortex is the brand.

49107de7e01f7c5d3659ce9c38278068.jpg

Also - my power feed for the mill finally turned up!

0d5577c66a3a81c7032b0df3707f164e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also bought a machinist level recently. There was a long thread on here that convinced me that I didn’t need one and wouldn’t buy one, but a guy who I bought some offcuts from was selling one for £30. For that price I had to have it, even if I never use it

a37169954a0d37280824f4aca5f0f112.jpg

I feel your pain. I buy from Tire Rack or Walmart and get them delivered to a Walmart or the like to install them. It's usually around $25 to 35 per tire to install. You can save quite a considerable amount of money do it that way, though it does take longer and more work.
I've purchased all of my Winter Tires (Bridgestone Blizzacks) from Tire Rack, mounted on wheels, usually for less than I can purchase the tires locally. Having them on wheels makes the swap easier (and cheaper if I have someone else do it) and IMHO extends the life of the sidewalls. By the time the TPMS sensors need service the tires are also due to be replaced.

Love Blizzacks - studless "Winter" tires, can drive across ice like a Zamboni.

Tire Rack was the first place I checked. They wanted $321.00 per tire plus the local sales tax. The local tire dealer was $293.00 per tire plus sales tax. This is the best, busiest, and most efficient tire dealer I've ever known. Since the 1980's I've purchased tires there for almost every vehicle we've owned. When I arrived at 7:15 in the morning I was number 25 in line, and they don't even open until 7:30. I had to wait until 11:00 for my turn. Once I got in it only took half an hour to mount, balance, and install the new tires.

By the time I left they had stopped taking customers for the day. There were probably 30 people or more that had arrived after me that still needed to have tires installed. I was told there are times when the place gets so busy, they stop taking in customers at 9:00 AM. This isn't a small shop. They have 6 bays with 2 guys working each bay. In the fair-weather months and for large vehicles (tractors, combines, construction equipment, motorhomes, etc.) they also work in the large parking lot. With the variety of vehicles coming through the door they've found it more efficient to use floor jacks than hoists. There are times when I've seen massive end loaders and articulated tractors sitting on 4 fifty-ton floor jacks.

This is the machine they used to dismount the old tires and mount the new ones. They have 6 of them in the shop. They get so much use the owner said they last three to four years on average. They also have several other models for unique wheel and tire configurations.

They also have half a dozen wheel balancers like this. Plus a few others again for unique wheel and tire configurations.

It's a well-equipped well-run shop.

Bought some end mills from an engineer that had retired.
Okay, I'll bite. I've seen you occasionally mention things like the above.

Do you just know a bunch of people who do machining or do you have some secret 'in' for some site in the UK where machinists sell their tooling?

I mean sure, there's eBay and FBMP but this is the UK, where hardly any bugger knows what a pillar drill is any more, let alone a lathe or a mill.

I need to join the local 'men's shed'...

Nothing bought... friend passed away and he left all the tools to me... had to spend all day yesterday moving his tools over...

Three toolboxes full of all kind of tools, an air compressor (well, two)... vise, and a whole lot of other stuff... I have no clue where the hell I am going to store all this while the workshop is built (new date for the building going up is sometime in January).

HV-1.jpeg

HV-2.jpeg

Big tank of Argon/CO2 welding/shield gas for the Hobart mig welder. This probably spent more time being used by me than him, lol... he had the tools, I had just a little bit more skill than him, lol. We used to joke about it...

HV-3.jpeg
HV-6.jpeg

Extension cords of all sizes...

HV-7.jpeg
HV-4.jpeg

HV-8.jpegHV-5.jpeg

Honda 10K generator... that I would go every year, before hurricane season, to clean the carb, charge or replace the battery, fill with ethanol-free gas...

HV-9.jpeg

Rest in Peace Hiram Vega...

Okay, I'll bite. I've seen you occasionally mention things like the above.

Do you just know a bunch of people who do machining or do you have some secret 'in' for some site in the UK where machinists sell their tooling?

I mean sure, there's eBay and FBMP but this is the UK, where hardly any bugger knows what a pillar drill is any more, let alone a lathe or a mill.

I need to join the local 'men's shed'...

Just eBay for me. I’m not on FB or any of those other sites. I just keep a close eye on this stuff on eBay and have messages back and forth with a lot of sellers on various items. Sometimes they work out well and have other stuff to offer, other times they don’t. Sometimes people I’ve bought from previously contact me with other things they’re selling.

In ‘real life’ I’ve never met an engineer (other than those I’ve bought off) or even seen another lathe or mill other than those I’ve owned.

Back