What Did You Buy Today?

I just thought I’d pass along my impression. Suggest you do your own research.

John
My friend has one he 3d printed and he uses it for woodworking and he is happy. I might just use the small hand handle vacuum cleaner for the mill/lathe it will be only chips. And see where it goes

You mean sparks igniting sawdust or oil in a mixed-use system, or something else?
That would be one possible problem. To be clear, I don’t own one and don’t have any firsthand experience. Just got convinced not to do it by reading what folks said on several other forums.

Worst anecdote involved burning up a shop.

John

Definitely not for the sand grinder. I will keep this for the woodworking tools and use the hand handled one for the mill lathe

Picked up these nice Dormer drills today.
15/16
27/32
29/32
1”
8e1f6a7ab021ed578ecfd70c908579a6.jpg

19b72fa86b8a0b73521aad56d8dd49a7.jpg

That would be one possible problem. To be clear, I don’t own one and don’t have any firsthand experience. Just got convinced not to do it by reading what folks said on several other forums.

Worst anecdote involved burning up a shop.

John

I have a Ryobi 4x36 disk/ belt sander... I bought it mainly to install grind-to-fit recoil pads on shotguns and rifles.

I was using it one day to grind a steel part and set the grinder on fire... hot sparks din't mix with urethane swarf very well.

There were no flames, but lots of (very unhealthy) smoke in my basement... I learned a valuable lesson that day. I can imagine sawdust would have been much worse...

-Bear

I have a Ryobi 4x36 disk/ belt sander... I bought it mainly to install grind-to-fit recoil pads on shotguns and rifles.

I was using it one day to grind a steel part and set the grinder on fire... hot sparks din't mix with urethane swarf very well.

There were no flames, but lots of (very unhealthy) smoke in my basement... I learned a valuable lesson that day. I can imagine sawdust would have been much worse...

-Bear
Couple of years ago I was thinning the head of an open end wrench and was grinding pretty heavily on my 2 x 42 Craftsman which is mounted on a wooden topped rolling cart:

IMG_6331_Radiant_Photo.jpeg
No flames, but a lot of charring; now I always place an Aluminum pan under the belt when doing anything on this sander.

I use one of the (sort of) cyclonic separators on a 5-gallon pail with a shop vac. I've never had an issue with floor or machine tool clean up, but I'm not sucking up hot chips. Seems plausible that dumping hot chips on sawdust could lead to combustion. What I like about it is the heavy stuff falls to the bottom of the 5-gallon bucket which is a lot easier to dump (albeit more often) than lifting and dumping my 16-gallon shop vac.

I have on my "project list of good intentions" to do something similar with my woodworking dust collection system. I have a Grizzly 4-bagger that draws 2000 cfm; it'll suck a 3/4" cube of wood up 9' then down into the impellor, makes a pleasant 'ping' noise when it hits. I've seen wooden boxes with a slide-out side panel for emptying the heavy deposits with inlet/outlet ports on opposite ends to protect the impellor.

Bruce

1701619001891.png

Back