What Did You Buy Today?

Back in the 1980’s Snap On made a “close quarters” ratchet with a similar profile. The ratchet itself was the standard size but only needed to be turned 5* to reset for another pull. I’ve been out of that business for close to 35 years so I don’t know if anything similar is available today.
I’ve had a broken one sitting in my tool box for going on 20 years. The Snap On man stopped by last Monday and fixed it for free.

Offcuts - lots of offcuts. I keep an eye on eBay as it’s the only place for me to really get good price stock, and there was an engineer selling job lots of stock as he was retiring. The price seemed too good to pass up:

1c04b183c2c66dd5ca3b617f4fb2beb1.jpg

This was about £110 all in all. There’s no way I could buy it individually for that. Now I just need to find a way to store it….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the ad….

”did XRF test the plate, but my machine just tells me its aluminum. I do not know concretely if it is 60 series or 70 series, but the XRF test does tell me it is one of those. The holes ARE able to be tapped at will: With a sharp cutting tool: However, the plate will arrive without any holes tapped. You can tap the holes if you wish for use. A (M10x1.5mm) tap cuts very nice clean threads for further bolting.”

So, if it won’t work as advertised I’ll have to decide if I’ll send it back or use it for something else.

John
3/8 24

IMG_3521.jpeg

Seems to hold pretty good.

IMG_3523.jpeg

Close up

IMG_3524.jpeg

Aircraft nut for comparison.

IMG_3525.jpeg

Will work for my purposes.

John

I went off the deep end this week (wife is up north with the grandson and I memorized the CC number). Two purchases has me feeling like I'm getting away with sumpthin:
  • After 40 years of doing the math in my head, I finally broke down and bought a used center line attachment for the clappers! Now without thinking I can measure the distance from one hole to the next as long as the holes are at least .375 and no more than 6" apart and the hole diameter is .375 or less. $20 all in
  • IMG_0699.jpg IMG_0698.jpg
  • Second (and equally as underwhelming as the first)! A Hout drill box for 33/64 thru 3/4". Even has a few drills in it to make me feel special. $20 cash in the WalMart parking lot. Now when I want to drill a 5/8 hole I don't have to rummage through my getto cardboard box of homeless drills to find the putrid example of a drill bit I am in need of.
  • 1700264039651.jpeg
I don't know why but I always feel like I am doing a drug deal when I do face to face purchases in a public place. Must be a byproduct of my misspent youth.

No doubt that when the wife comes home tomorrow I will immediatly go on a steady diet of hot tongue and cold shoulder, but hey, your not livin dangerously unless you poke the bear.

Attachments

• 1700264109520.jpeg
    1700264109520.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 1700264072878.jpeg
    1700264072878.jpeg
    36.5 KB · Views: 12
I went off the deep end this week (wife is up north with the grandson and I memorized the CC number). Two purchases has me feeling like I'm getting away with sumpthin:
  • After 40 years of doing the math in my head, I finally broke down and bought a used center line attachment for the clappers! Now without thinking I can measure the distance from one hole to the next as long as the holes are at least .375 and no more than 6" apart and the hole diameter is .375 or less. $20 all in
  • View attachment 467128 View attachment 467126
You'll like them; I dedicated a HF caliper for this task and modified the box so the "points" don't have to be removed:

Calipers in Modified Box.jpeg

Just have to be careful when I reach into this drawer:

Box in Drawer.jpeg

Back