What Did You Buy Today?

Looks great Tom . Just what I need . :encourage:

Just picked up a Gerstner O42 with a 1950 Machinery Handbook in the drawer, Starrett adjustable parallel set and an old style Lufkin 0-3” depth mic with a 0-1” point.
All for $150. Very stoked on the box. It will clean up nicely
47b6c6c2a8ade1ed8cab10d170af56c9.jpg

c1ba260a19b4a49cea9cf4d410707fbf.jpg

b341eb0d4738b11201e1e2991c675d6f.jpg

d88c25316681f04daf127ef207abc5d9.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.
That box makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside...great score man.

And that is how I keep adding machines to my inexistent garage space... You buy something to use part of it and then you just can't bring yourself to cannibalize it...

Oh, and while I am at it... 24 bucks???!!

:you suck:
Yeah 24 bucks I was scratching my head going is there a number missing but im not gonna complain by any means. And the steel tooling plates will get some use for sure...

Keep in mind that a) it just has plain holes and b) the Ø8.1mm holes are ~10mm on center - not enough meat to thread the holes.
From the ad….

”did XRF test the plate, but my machine just tells me its aluminum. I do not know concretely if it is 60 series or 70 series, but the XRF test does tell me it is one of those. The holes ARE able to be tapped at will: With a sharp cutting tool: However, the plate will arrive without any holes tapped. You can tap the holes if you wish for use. A (M10x1.5mm) tap cuts very nice clean threads for further bolting.”

So, if it won’t work as advertised I’ll have to decide if I’ll send it back or use it for something else.

John

3/8"-16 fits those holes just fine for fixturing. I can't think of a better way to mount small one-offs, especially when custom fixtures can take more time to make than the part you need to hold down. Plenty of holes to choose from, I speculate I'll get my value meal's worth out of it.

These got delivered yesterday:

50ee2febea3893d1f6a158e7d72ab4d7.jpg

5 AXA XL tool tool holders. It was cheaper for me to order these from the American EBay and pay for delivery to the UK than order them from the UK directly. Seem to all fit and work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the ad….

”did XRF test the plate, but my machine just tells me its aluminum. I do not know concretely if it is 60 series or 70 series, but the XRF test does tell me it is one of those. The holes ARE able to be tapped at will: With a sharp cutting tool: However, the plate will arrive without any holes tapped. You can tap the holes if you wish for use. A (M10x1.5mm) tap cuts very nice clean threads for further bolting.”

So, if it won’t work as advertised I’ll have to decide if I’ll send it back or use it for something else.

John
I admit that I only scanned the fine print since I didn’t plan on using the plate as a true fixture plate. However, since not all of the holes are round as stated, the plates that have been received exceed the 1 blem per plate and don’t meet the description.

Also, the tapping charts say the hole size for M10-1.50 is 8.5mm and the holes are 8.2mm; also, since the holes are on 10mm centers, running an M10 tap through one will leave something resembling a Maltese cross, not a tapped hole.

3/8"-16 fits those holes just fine for fixturing. I can't think of a better way to mount small one-offs, especially when custom fixtures can take more time to make than the part you need to hold down. Plenty of holes to choose from, I speculate I'll get my value meal's worth out of it.
Let us know what the 3/8-16 tapped hole looks like: I’d try one, but since I plan on using 1/4-20 bolts/studs to secure parts to the plate and the plate to the mill table (I have custom T-Slot nuts with 1/4-20 & 10-32 holes for my table), I’m not inclined to experiment.

Let us know what the 3/8-16 tapped hole looks like: I’d try one, but since I plan on using 1/4-20 bolts/studs to secure parts to the plate and the plate to the mill table (I have custom T-Slot nuts with 1/4-20 & 10-32 holes for my table), I’m not inclined to experiment.
I grabbed a few 3/8 bolts from the bin the other day when I was figuring on how I'd hold this long, thin part that I need to slot. I haven't cranked on a tap yet, but I've got that 95% certainty vibe going on about it. The numbers work out fine for 3/8, and Mitee Bite type stuff is available in 3/8, so I think it'll work out. Else I'm gonna have some nifty patterns on my BBQ chicken.

Back