Welder looking to buy a mill/drill for home use

Thoughts on this?

Good features. Power feed and VFD will help you get the best finish within the machine's work envelope. R8 collets will definitely net you the best rigidity possible and allow you to use one-piece R8 face mills and the like. I'd imagine it could do .030 passes with a 2"-2.5" insert face mill with 1.5 hp in steel depending on how efficient the VFD is at the working RPM for that tool. You could face about 7"x17" depending on the work and fixturing. For a small machine, the features are nice and useful. An import 2-axis DRO would be a thrifty upgrade that will expand the usefulness and accuracy of the machine. The factory cabinets on those are nice enough, or you can build your own to suit.

Good features. Power feed and VFD will help you get the best finish within the machine's work envelope. R8 collets will definitely net you the best rigidity possible and allow you to use one-piece R8 face mills and the like. I'd imagine it could do .030 passes with a 2"-2.5" insert face mill with 1.5 hp in steel depending on how efficient the VFD is at the working RPM for that tool. You could face about 7"x17" depending on the work and fixturing. For a small machine, the features are nice and useful. An import 2-axis DRO would be a thrifty upgrade that will expand the usefulness and accuracy of the machine. The factory cabinets on those are nice enough, or you can build your own to suit.
Thank you very much for your input! I'm thinking on waiting for the black friday deals.

Back