QCTP too tall

Is this practice or the real deal? Just wondering. If practice experiment. Start with 150 RPM. First pass just do a witness cut so you can verify threads are correct. After that try .005 per side first few passes. Then taper off. The last couple of passes take .001 and do a spring pass.

You will be able to tell off the pass s too heavy.

FYI. This is just my experience. It does not matter if you plunge straight in or set compound at 29 or 30 degrees. I find I like going straight in as it is easer to get my desired depth straight away.

You will find your preferred method. Take what people suggest and incorporate what make best sense to you.

Cutting oil is my blood.
You are referring to the thread cutting? I'm talking about just turning down the stock to size first.

Yes thread cutting. Just experiment. Start around 500 rpm and adjust from there. Depth of cut will depend on your cutter geometry. Start light like .020 and adjust from there.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Yes thread cutting. Just experiment. Start around 500 rpm and adjust from there. Depth of cut will depend on your cutter geometry. Start light like .020 and adjust from there.

Cutting oil is my blood.
What about width of cut. How much carriage should travel per revolution?

How about you start at 760 rpm .003 feed rate and .020 per side depth cut to start. That should get you rolling.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Also looking at your picture. You have a bunch of chatter at the start of your cut.

Please check cutter is on center, is the cutter sharp? Is the live center fully engaged? Is the compound snugged down? Make sure when you cut that you dial into the part. If you dial it back even an iota that is not good.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back