POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Something a Whole Lot more Enjoyable about working with the lathe than doing vehicle repair.
Sounds like so much fun! Do you have the factory info for how to do it?

You do your ribs in parchment? I do my pork butt like that but never tried it with ribs. I typically use a modified 3-2-1 method to smoke baby backs.

I do 3-2-1 as well. 3 hours in the smoke, 2 hours in butcher paper, then another back in the smoke. I was seeing dryer looking ribs than normal so for last hour I just opened the paper and left the ribs exposed in the paper.

I love pork ribs. Normally, I do 3 hours on the smoker, 3 hours in foil and 1 hour unwrapped on the grate. I am making a couple of racks of ribs next week and I was planning to change out the foil for butcher paper to see what difference it makes. I have to make ribs often, because they get eaten so fast.

Sounds like so much fun! Do you have the factory info for how to do it?

No factory manual. It is a 3500 4 x 4 RAM unit bearing was stuck.

2 days of hammering, penetrating oil, and a 5 lb slide hammer also

48" pipe wrench trying to break the corrosion seal including jumping on the cheater bar on the end ...
air chisel also
Hammer drill and the trick of using the power steering with a 7 inch socket and extension

Plus, finally getting perturbed assembling only the brake components and just the axle nut and then doing an impersonation of Dukes of Hazard or maybe Charles Bronson's 'Mr. Majestyk' in the field. Heh Heh.

Back on the lift and the power steering trick Finally worked at that point a whole can of penetrating oil had been sprayed but the unit bearing is out less than an hour to break the axle shaft down and get the old U joint out one cap was broken and another seized which further complicated removing it from the front arm casting once the unit bearing was off.

I did get to use the lathe again because sockets would not set square on the press because the axle cap holders are not fully square so made a thin wall outer bushing with a an area ground out to square the u joint in the press.

Bought a new unit bearing because it is probably damaged at this point and also made sure to get a spicer U joint instead of a GMB or some other short life U joint. The hits keep coming, Grand daughters Jeep Wrangler blew the radiator and had it towed 50 miles to my garage. Plastic top cracked on it so as soon as my truck is running will tackle radiator replacement. Then back to the TLB the correct bushings have arrived.

OR , maybe finally use the now functional truck to get the boat out of the barn and get out on the Lake - this work seems to much like work lately.

Barbeque idea sounds Good as well. added pic I forgot the porta power :) edit:

What did I make in the shop today? A mess. but progress was eventually made. found a pic of last summer

yeah I am going to dig the boat out.

Out the window just now momma deer and her kids eating white clover Actually no complaints.

Attachments

• PXL_20240704_224813632.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240704_224813632.MP.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20230623_235656802~2.jpg
    PXL_20230623_235656802~2.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 49
  • PXL_20240707_161240377.jpg
    PXL_20240707_161240377.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
No factory manual. It is a 3500 4 x 4 RAM unit bearing was stuck.

2 days of hammering, penetrating oil, and a 5 lb slide hammer also

48" pipe wrench trying to break the corrosion seal including jumping on the cheater bar on the end ...
air chisel also
Hammer drill and the trick of using the power steering with a 7 inch socket and extension

Plus, finally getting perturbed assembling only the brake components and just the axle nut and then doing an impersonation of Dukes of Hazard or maybe Charles Bronson's 'Mr. Majestyk' in the field. Heh Heh.

Back on the lift and the power steering trick Finally worked at that point a whole can of penetrating oil had been sprayed but the unit bearing is out less than an hour to break the axle shaft down and get the old U joint out one cap was broken and another seized which further complicated removing it from the front arm casting once the unit bearing was off.

I did get to use the lathe again because sockets would not set square on the press because the axle cap holders are not fully square so made a thin wall outer bushing with a an area ground out to square the u joint in the press.

Bought a new unit bearing because it is probably damaged at this point and also made sure to get a spicer U joint instead of a GMB or some other short life U joint. The hits keep coming, Grand daughters Jeep Wrangler blew the radiator and had it towed 50 miles to my garage. Plastic top cracked on it so as soon as my truck is running will tackle radiator replacement. Then back to the TLB the correct bushings have arrived.

OR , maybe finally use the now functional truck to get the boat out of the barn and get out on the Lake - this work seems to much like work lately.

Barbeque idea sounds Good as well.
Five years of owning my own shop, as well as a lifetime of working on my own cars and trucks has made me very selective about which jobs I’m doing myself and which go to the mechanic. Last really fun one was working in my first Michigan shop, before I had the 10,000 lb hoist I had to replace the oil cooler on my F250 7.3 turbo diesel. No, it’s not sitting in front of the radiator, it’s on the bottom of the engine wedged between the starter and exhaust manifold.

Sold the hoist with the shop and couldn’t fit the truck into my current space if I wanted to. Key is having a local shop that you can trust to do the difficult jobs. Seems like every time I drop something off with them I get an apologetic call telling me the job is taking longer than they thought because something weird is going on. That’s when I know I made the right call ;)

Maybe when I retire I’ll get another little sports car that’s easy to work on. For now I don’t envy you one bit….

Now get out there and catch som fish for the smoker:grin:

John

Just got these photos from a client. They'd just finished the flooring around the cabinets I'd built for them. 1/4 sawn red oak I'd milled a few years ago. The lady wanted the one piece stained black, I was in tears staining 1/4 sawn wood. lol
Next is granite counter tops.
IMG_4816.jpg

IMG_4817.jpg
Just finished 1/4 sawing 10 red oak logs, hard to judge the footage as I leave the live edge on one side. Easier to trim on the table saw as each board is a different width when you quarter saw.

Greg

Back