POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I hope you grip that better. That's very little holding power on the vise, it's liable to pull out. With that little purchase on the part, make sure you have a hinge in the other side so the jaws stay parallel.

Agree, I have parallels installed so the vice jaws stay parallel.

I have already successfully machined a few of these without issue. Taking very light passes.

I appreciate all the input. The material thinness, orientation of cutting forces and potential for stress cracking On a 90 degree corner have been discussed and the end-user is aware.

Sometimes artistic desires conflict with engineering and machining best practices. We do the best we can with the parameters given.

Excellent points, @woodchucker; could also lower in the jaws and even use a thicker plain angle as a backer to provide support :

View attachment 494139

It also looks kid a longer cut end mill would make things better.

Yes, a longer end mill would allow one to take a full length cut on the entire leg of the hinge. However; it is not necessary in this application to clean up the entire length.

And the hinge legs tapper ever so slightly away from vertical which allow for clearance at the upper portion of the leg.

I do like the suggestion of installing a tall backer bar behind the hinge leg for additional support.

I knew about price and energy density...

There are summers my tractor doesn't get run enough to empty a full tank #2 by snow blowing season. Got caught with gelled diesel in the fuel system one winter, that was a real PAIN!
(Cold snap his us fast, added the anti gelling additive. But the fuel tank is actually two tanks with a hose between them, and solution didn't mix.)

For the little fuel that gets used, cost isn't an issue. I always wondered if there was any other reasons not to just keep running #1. Guess I need to dig a little more...

How about running No.1 year round with upper cylinder lubricant additive (like Lucas) then? It negates the drawbacks of using lighter fuel. Quiets and smooths the engine so much it's hard to not use it once you start.

Got tired of reaching for the allen when flipping the jaws back and forth, so cut a hex on the chuck key ends.
This is a brilliant trick. Especially if I replace the cross bar with harder steel!

Please send detailed instructions ! :big grin:
I am talking about having 4-5 routers, 4 more circular saws, corded drills, etc. Stuff that I only need one or two... You, better than most, know how this happens... friends or family that passes away and I end up getting their tools...

As much as I would like to keep it all, makes no sense. I do not like selling them because I did not pay for them. But I also do not like giving it to someone that is just going to turn around and sell it... heck, I can do that! I want to give it to someone that needs it and will give it a good home.

I have been asking family and friends if they have a need for some of these tools... Table saw, one circular saw, one corded drill, and one of the reciprocating saws went to a nephew.

I will go over the toolboxes again and get all the rest of the stuff ready to move it on... I will ping friends and family to see if anyone needs something. That goes for anyone here in the forum that is local to Ocala...

Once I have the list and photos, I will share here as well... just in case someone here has the need for something. Again, local, not shipping anything, sorry.

Last edited:
I was inspecting the rust protection (oil leak) on the skid plate I made a while back for the three wheeler and found a nut sitting on it. One of the motor mount bolts worked its way out so I drug the rolling magnet around. Only got a ton of nails and a couple bottle caps. Used ones on flea bay are about $15. It’s a weird metric one so I decided to modify 3/8-16 grade 8 bolt. I made a sketch in my free starrett notepad and they still are free! Chucked it up and turned it down from .375” to .315”. The live center was to big so a chunk of hss that had a 60 degree point was used in the drill chuck as a dead center. Used a die for the M8x1.25 threads then parted off the excess and filed down the threads a bit to knock off the edge. The result is almost identical to the original just stronger. My 14mm socket fits on the 9/16” head so I left it. It works as it should and now time to not get injured using it.
IMG_7016.jpeg
Original New one Bolt modified
M8 X 1.25 M8 X1.25 3/8”-16
IMG_7017.jpeg

I am talking about having 4-5 routers, 4 more circular saws, corded drills, etc. Stuff that I only need one or two... You, better than most, know how this happens... friends or family that passes away and I end up getting their tools...

As much as I would like to keep it all, makes no sense. I do not like selling them because I did not pay for them. But I also do not like giving it to someone that is just going to turn around and sell it... heck, I can do that! I want to give it to someone that needs it and will give it a good home.

I have been asking family and friends if they have a need for some of these tools... Table saw, one circular saw, one corded drill, and one of the reciprocating saws went to a nephew.

I will go over the toolboxes again and get all the rest of the stuff ready to move it on... I will ping friends and family to see if anyone needs something. That goes for anyone here in the forum that is local to Ocala...

Once I have the list and photos, I will share here as well... just in case someone here has the need for something. Again, local, not shipping anything, sorry.
Check with your local Habitat for Humanity branch, I bet they can put that stuff to good use.

John

Back