POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

How about running No.1 year round with upper cylinder lubricant additive (like Lucas) then? It negates the drawbacks of using lighter fuel. Quiets and smooths the engine so much it's hard to not use it once you start.
I'll have to look into that.

Not sure how much that's needed on these modern common rail electronically injected diesels. Maybe it just doesn't matter that much anymore???

I've been just running 1# until the tank is near empty (Some summers that doesn't happen.). Don't notice any difference in engine sounds when switching over. Although, a lot of summer work is light duty anymore, so maybe not a big deal when is lightly loaded.
( Not an expert on the subject, tho so...)

Looking good. Would it be easier to drill before separating? That might reduce the number of operations.

Regards
I finished these up today and took your suggestion. Definitely the way to go especially since I don't have a drill press so I made do with my lathe. I also ended up facing off the top of the T Nuts after splitting them, which was totally unnecessary, but made them a bit nicer.
IMG_3237.JPG
IMG_3238.JPG
IMG_3239.JPG
IMG_3240.JPG
IMG_3241.JPG
IMG_3242.JPG
IMG_3243.JPG
IMG_3244.JPG
I didn't take a picture of it, but I also staked the threads so the studs cannot thread all the way through.

Definitely the way to go especially since I don't have a drill press so I made do with my lathe.

don't you have a mill that I see in the pic? you don't need a drill press if you have a mill. If your quill is a fixed quill, the table still goes up and down.. But using the lathe is perfectly acceptable...

don't you have a mill that I see in the pic? you don't need a drill press if you have a mill. If your quill is a fixed quill, the table still goes up and down.. But using the lathe is perfectly acceptable...
That would work and I'm sure that I will end up drilling on it once I figure out a way to mount a drill chuck. The vertical spindle is a Bridgeport C Head (fixed quill) and it uses 2VB collets. I have a decent selection of imperial collets for it, but my two jacobs chucks are MT2 and 1 1/2" - 8 TPI so not help there. I might have been able to hold the drills in the collets directly, but I didn't want to be switching back and fourth between different collets in the middle of it.

In the long run I'll probably buy or make an arbor for one of my Jacobs chucks with a straight 1/2" shank so I can hold it without a fuss. I'll still probably end up with a drill press though. They're convenient for quick projects like this and they're not too expensive.

That would work and I'm sure that I will end up drilling on it once I figure out a way to mount a drill chuck. The vertical spindle is a Bridgeport C Head (fixed quill) and it uses 2VB collets. I have a decent selection of imperial collets for it, but my two jacobs chucks are MT2 and 1 1/2" - 8 TPI so not help there. I might have been able to hold the drills in the collets directly, but I didn't want to be switching back and fourth between different collets in the middle of it.

In the long run I'll probably buy or make an arbor for one of my Jacobs chucks with a straight 1/2" shank so I can hold it without a fuss. I'll still probably end up with a drill press though. They're convenient for quick projects like this and they're not too expensive.
just as easy to buy a new chuck on ebay with a straight shank. You can't have too many chucks... oh wait, if you're @mmcmdl you do.. I think Dave has probably 30-100

just as easy to buy a new chuck on ebay with a straight shank. You can't have too many chucks... oh wait, if you're @mmcmdl you do.. I think Dave has probably 30-100
I had a friend once that called his kid Chuck because he could only find him when he didn't need him..... (jus kiddin...)

I haven't shed any chucks lately Jeff , that's a project for winter time when I can't spend time in the garage . :)

I am in 2 weeks . My son is in Calgary though , not Toronto any more . :)
maybe you can sell one or two to @SightlessSeer aren't you going up there shortly to see your son?

A quick knurling job on my spare ER32 Faceplate bar handle. It is not much of a job, nor did it take long, but it does make a difference.

Still have other work to do, but to be honest I did not fancy standing in front of the lathe for any length of time today and this scratched an itch and scratched it off the "to do" list.

SAM_0008.JPG

Beats the heck out of messing with this stringy stuff!! (from a few days back when I wanted to do something "useful" without having to think too much.

SAM_0010.JPG

Last edited:
Back