POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Gave away a few tools (table saw, circular saw, reciprocating saw, etc.) and did a first pass at organizing some of the stuff on the floor of the garage….

Still sorting through all the duplicate tools I have so I can get rid of them. But making some progress.

IMG_6395.jpeg

The stuff next to the motorcycles is next. With that out, I can park them more to the side. A good six feet more.

Wife should be able to park her car in the garage by the end of this weekend.

Nice work on the bearing tool. Gott'a love a banger. Mike

Last edited:
Yesterday, I set-up and ran a test on a cabinet hinge to remove the inside corner radius. Test worked out, today I will run the rest of the hinges.

View attachment 494128
Wondering why you are doing this. Is it needed for door clearance? You need some horizontal offset or the vertical edge of the door won't clear. Making a sharp corner may help in the short run, but doesn't it introduce a stress riser? Understood that the door likely isn't heavy, but the hinge isn't thick in the corner either. If you have been doing it this way since trilobites swam in the sea, then carry on. Either way, it would be nice to see pictures of the finished results (hinges and doors). That way we (and especially myself) can learn something new.

Quote: Are you using the vacuum to pressurize the tank (help push the dent out) or to, hopefully, evacuate potentially expl
Even though pure grade no. 1 diesel fuel may seem an excellent solution due to its low gelling point, it's more expensive and has a lower energy content. Running an engine on pure grade no.1 diesel fuel continuously could reduce the fuel system's life (Lifted from an online site), + I think it might contribute to more cylinder wash down=oil dilution, especially on a high hr engine. Fuel will likely never be cheaper than it is now, so the more on hand the cheaper overall.
I knew about price and energy density...

There are summers my tractor doesn't get run enough to empty a full tank #2 by snow blowing season. Got caught with gelled diesel in the fuel system one winter, that was a real PAIN!
(Cold snap his us fast, added the anti gelling additive. But the fuel tank is actually two tanks with a hose between them, and solution didn't mix.)

For the little fuel that gets used, cost isn't an issue. I always wondered if there was any other reasons not to just keep running #1. Guess I need to dig a little more...

Wondering why you are doing this. Is it needed for door clearance? You need some horizontal offset or the vertical edge of the door won't clear. Making a sharp corner may help in the short run, but doesn't it introduce a stress riser? Understood that the door likely isn't heavy, but the hinge isn't thick in the corner either. If you have been doing it this way since trilobites swam in the sea, then carry on. Either way, it would be nice to see pictures of the finished results (hinges and doors). That way we (and especially myself) can learn something new.

This is a project for another craftsman. There will be additional hand tooling applied.

It's not my cabinetry project, it's being done for artistic and aesthetic reasons.

I won't be able to post final pics as it's not my cabinetry work. I posted this more for set-up of a thin piece that had to have a side load during cutting.

I don't believe this will compromise the function of this hinge given the application in which it is being used.

This is a project for another craftsman. There will be additional hand tooling applied.

It's not my cabinetry project, it's being done for artistic and aesthetic reasons.

I won't be able to post final pics as it's not my cabinetry work. I posted this more for set-up of a thin piece that had to have a side load during cutting.

I don't believe this will compromise the function of this hinge given the application in which it is being used.
You may want to reach out to the other craftsman and suggest that you leave a small radius (using a corner radius edge mill): while we don't know the application, a sharp corner will impact the ability of the hinge to support downward force on the hinge pin. The radius will also reduce the forces on the corner during machining.

I hope you grip that better. That's very little holding power on the vise, it's liable to pull out. With that little purchase on the part, make sure you have a hinge in the other side so the jaws stay parallel.

I hope you grip that better. That's very little holding power on the vise, it's liable to pull out. With that little purchase on the part, make sure you have a hinge in the other side so the jaws stay parallel.
Excellent points, @woodchucker; could also lower in the jaws and even use a thicker plain angle as a backer to provide support :

Corner Cut Notes.jpeg

It also looks kid a longer cut end mill would make things better.

Back