POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Made a good start on some T Nuts. I figure that I can get 8-12 from this chunk of steel that I found in my basement when I got my place. The end mill wandered a bit on me while I was slotting out the squared up stock, but it will be more than good enough for T Nuts. I still have to split them down the middle of the 'H' with my bandsaw to make two 'T' stock pieces, then drill, tap and separate them.
IMG_3225.JPG
IMG_3226.JPG
IMG_3227.JPG

Made a good start on some T Nuts. I figure that I can get 8-12 from this chunk of steel that I found in my basement when I got my place. The end mill wandered a bit on me while I was slotting out the squared up stock, but it will be more than good enough for T Nuts. I still have to split them down the middle of the 'H' with my bandsaw to make two 'T' stock pieces, then drill, tap and separate them.
View attachment 493983
View attachment 493984
View attachment 493985
Looking good. Would it be easier to drill before separating? That might reduce the number of operations.

Regards

Small machine owners know the drill, rough-cut fat then mill/turn to dimension. Hacksawing got old real quick, so I cobbled together a bandsaw table:

DSZ_1867.jpg

DeWalt DMW120 (corded, not cordless, long story...), the SWAG Offroad Portaband Table (coulda made this, maybe...) and a home-made mount, TLAR-fabricated from 2x10 pine (what I had handy...) Right now, sits on the table saw, cord hanging through the outrigger, and is a good height for me to comfortably and safely cut stuff. "Designed" it to maybe mount to the side of my workbench, with a leg to the floor running up to the 2x4 spacing the front.

A bit of an expedience to get to finer things...

Not in the shop, but directly outside. I've had this 300 gallon tank sitting in the back of my old 2.5T 55 ford grain truck for a few years now, and decided to put it to use for summer diesel fuel. I used the backhoe to lift it out and put it on the ground. While unhooking and re-rigging I reached through the rear of the machine from the ground (I know), and inadvertently hit the boom lever putting a nice sized dent in the tank. One Oh S**t = 15 att'a boys, so a one second oops turned into an all day repair. Not being able to work the dent from the inside made for a challenging job. Used an old section of chain and welded it to the dent to pull it out with the same machine that put it there (gotta be some irony there somewhere). Rinse and repeat about ten times and its pretty much back where it started. Waiting now for paint to come, have removed all the fittings, and will reseal add a filter/water separator and put some air to it to check for leaks before I set it up next to the winter tank, and have it filled. Mike

IMG_20240618_114636646_HDR.jpgIMG_20240618_171703490_HDR.jpgIMG_20240618_133709889_HDR.jpgIMG_20240618_133639170_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Not in the shop, but directly outside. I've had this 300 gallon tank sitting in the back of my old 2.5T 55 ford grain truck for a few years now, and decided to put it to use for summer diesel fuel.
If anyone else on here would need a 275 gallon tank I have one here . I have to slide it out of the basement after emptying it . It would make a great stove but I have 5 already ! :grin: The Kubota uses 10 gallons a year at most .

Are you using the vacuum to pressurize the tank (help push the dent out) or to, hopefully, evacuate potentially explosive fumes?

Also, I'm wondering why you want to segregate winter diesel from summer diesel?

If anyone else on here would need a 275 gallon tank I have one here . I have to slide it out of the basement after emptying it . It would make a great stove but I have 5 already ! :grin: The Kubota uses 10 gallons a year at most .
Yeah, I have three here. A while back I committed to buying a completely different 100Gal tank, when the current owner empties it out.

Anyone just run #1 year around???

Quote: Are you using the vacuum to pressurize the tank (help push the dent out) or to, hopefully, evacuate potentially explosive fumes?

Also, I'm wondering why you want to segregate winter diesel from summer diesel?

Even though pure grade no. 1 diesel fuel may seem an excellent solution due to its low gelling point, it's more expensive and has a lower energy content. Running an engine on pure grade no.1 diesel fuel continuously could reduce the fuel system's life (Lifted from an online site), + I think it might contribute to more cylinder wash down=oil dilution, especially on a high hr engine. Fuel will likely never be cheaper than it is now, so the more on hand the cheaper overall. On the vacuum yes, out with the bad air, in with the good air, though diesel fuel I don't worry about too much, gasoline is a whole different thing. Mike

Back