POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

No TIG in my shop either. That’s just .035 MIG wire and a little grind/polish.

The last few weekends were spent sanding, washing and degreasing. I finally got a first coat of Rust-oleum 7400 on today. I hope to get a second coat on in a few days after work. If not, it’ll be next weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_5155.jpeg
    IMG_5155.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5156.jpeg
    IMG_5156.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 41
Haven't been feeling up to working on the project much. Weather has the allergies at %110 right now. Spent a bunch of evenings getting cardio in the home gym to try to sweat some of this stuff out.

Last night was a major milestone. All carriage parts were assembled, so finally time to put it all together. The trucks fit nice on the flange of the beam. And the cross ties fit well too. That means I measured correctly for once!
Trucks.jpg Crossers.jpg

Next was a quick clearance check, then time to clamp things up and commit. A few good hot tacks on some plates that tie the cross ties to the trucks of the carriage. Those plates are held in by the axel bolts. Then get down on the floor and do an upside down weld 8" off the floor. Not too proud of those, but they really don't carry any load. Just happy that the welds didn't pull the plates at all. Was afraid I'd be squaring those up again with a torch and hammer.
Clearance.jpg CommittedNow.jpg

Couple holes to drill, and then I'll probably clean the carriage up and give it a coat of paint. It'll probably be the only part that gets painted yellow. Just seems like it should be yellow.

In the clearance view, above you can see how the chain fall hook will be just below the cross ties for the bridge. Those cross ties will be about an inch below the ceiling. Should only loose a couple of inches of theoretical lift height on the chain fall.

Last edited:
Oh I’ve made my own screwdrivers before — I used the hex bits and pressed them into handles I made from black Delrin — but it was the chuck key end on the screwdriver handle that appealed to me. I don’t know, maybe you can buy those in screwdriver-length as well but I’ve not seen them.

My FRC kiddos kinda designed themselves into a corner. Needed a deep 8mm keyed hole in a 1/2 hex shaft. Never been done before, but... solved it! 2mm slitting saw and a custom 2mm x 3.6mm key
8515a4eb765b4992abac5de5611453d4.jpg
dd22c72f7fd16ef69ecc83a322c99a4d.jpg
4e5a73c23543549a06ffa4755c58fce9.jpg

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Not today , more like 25 years ago . One of my ex-coworkers sent me this today . Hard to believe the Shadows got that many years in service . :encourage: Article is from 2018 .

Finally got a set of ER32 collets and holder for my lathe but am running out of drawer space. So went vertical and mounted 2 of these to the legs of my workbench.

ER-32.jpg

Attachments

• ER32 Collet Rack v1.step
    163.4 KB · Views: 6
  • ER32 Collet Rack.stl
    358 KB · Views: 5
Back