Optimum MH 50V mods and accessories

Unlogic, thanks for the very elaborate reply.

I'm in a situation in my life where I start to have the funds to buy bigger machines. If I had the room for it, I would get a SYIL X7. But currently I need the machine to fit through a regular 80cm doorway. In 10 years or so, I will move to a house with a real garage/workshop and then I will have the room for a real CNC like the SYIL. Until then, I want something sturdy that I can convert to CNC down the line. The MH 50V seems like a good candidate and I have local distributors in my country.
I had a quick look at the Mobasi build, and I feel like I could accept the price tag of around €17k for a complete build including the machine. I'm comparing to the €43k for the SYIL since to me it makes sense there is a good price gap between the two.
I don't have any experience with a CNC build so I should probably start smaller than the MH 50V. I have an Optimum BF16 Vario, basically the smallest machine I could get many years ago, and I could start with that machine and Chinese components when I get the MH 50V.

This is purely hobby for me. So I don't NEED the precision of a real CNC. Maybe even the BF16 as a CNC will be fine for me for a long time.

Enough about me. Now that you have the MH 50V converted to CNC, do you miss the manual machine? I don't have a drill press so I use my BF16 even for drilling simple holes. If you need 1 hole in a piece of steel, the location is marked with a punch or a pen, would it be just as easy to drill the hole on the CNC as it would cranking the hand wheels of a manual machine?

I used this machine in manual mode for over two years and I was actually a bit worried that I'd miss the manual milling when I did the CNC conversion.

For small quick things like a single hole or a simple facing operation a manual mill is hard to beat.

Drilling in CNC mode was really scary in the beginning but now that I have a bit more experience it's actually quite nice. Especially the ability to do automatic pecking and very precise patterns.

By the way if you listen to the noise in the video above I think you'll understand why I wanted to get rid of the gearbox and go with belt drive instead.

Before I would make a template then mark and punch holes before drilling. Now days I usually start FreeCAD, make sketch, select the correct tools from the tool library and generate the tool path. Then I let the machine do it's thing.

Back