McMaster-Carr End Mills

I build a cart and place the order when I’ve added something that I need now. Do the same thing at Bolt Depot: fortunately both allow adding labels to each item so I can remember why I bought them.
I just checked my order screen and never realized the show line reference option was there, thank you for mentioning that.

IF you find what you need and have Prime as I do you may pay a little more for the item but you just can't beat the almost free shipping and the fact you don't have to leave the house. When you buy from Mc. Master you pay almost twice the cost of the item for shipping same for Online Metals, It's killer for the home shop guys.

IF you find what you need and have Prime as I do you may pay a little more for the item but you just can't beat the almost free shipping and the fact you don't have to leave the house. When you buy from Mc. Master you pay almost twice the cost of the item for shipping same for Online Metals, It's killer for the home shop guys.
Agree, particularly for materials; however, if you needs certs your options are limited (I don’t, but also don’t need long lengths so for specialty - like close tolerance rod - McM can can be the lowest total cost).

For personal use I shop by price, but depending the application I would go with McM other supplier - don’t want to have a 3” hose fitting fail under pressure and “quafwia” may be hard to find if a lawsuit happens.
I agree , but if common sense prevails for your needs its tough to beat Amazon. I remember that if you went to Harbor Freight you were a trader and had to wear a mask to hide your identity. Price is what matters to the home shop group. When I worked the job was shut down because of a damaged casting. We needed a large metric tap that was a whooping $450.00 and the company didn't bat an eye. Home shop owners would have to settle for a $30.00 knock off. My point being McMaster is not going to fold because they cater to big money and Amazon will be the go to place for the little guy. Once again I do not like it but its a whole new game now.

Last edited:
Give it a little time and Amazon will arrive at same day shipping. Unfortunately I think they are shooting to knock everyone else out of the box. Their warehousing size is incredible as the locations grow by the minute and you will find top brands to boot. I don't like it but it's going to happen.
Their delivery reliability is going to have to improve to compete with McM. Just last week, I ordered an AC adapter for an old Canon video camera that I'm repurposing for webcam use. Amazon promised next-day delivery (and I needed that for a funeral where I was asked to provide video to an overflow room at a tiny country church), but it was delayed a day, and then delayed two days, and then returned to sender with the promise of arriving four days late, and then declared undeliverable and awaiting a refund within five days. I'm still awaiting the refund. (I ordered a Canon-branded preowned adapter from a guy on ebay.) They have 15 different "brands" of these fulfilled out of the Amazon warehouse, so why they couldn't just send another one from their warehouse is beyond me, even if they drove over the original one with a forklift. McM wouldn't have had any trouble getting me the right part, if it existed in their warehouse. And if it didn't exist in their warehouse, their online system would actually know it.

But what I like most about McM is an ordering app on my phone that has a searching system that is actually relevant to the use cases for the things they sell, unlike the search on Amazon that might return one valid hit for every 20 mostly unrelated paid sponsored ads. With McM, I can narrow it down in a minute to just what I need answering the sorts of questions people like us can answer easily.

To the topic, I have recently bought some end mills from McM--like last week--but I forget the brand. I'll run out to the shop later today and look more closely at them.

Rick "has been ordering from McM's online catalog for over 20 years" Denney

When I had my shop in NYC. I would sometimes get McMaster orders delivered the same day, if ordered early. Amazon too, but their deliveries seem to slow down considerably, post Covid.

I just bought two carbide 3/8” square-cut four-flute center-cutting end mills from McM—they turned out to be German-made Gurings.

And I bought a set six of double-ended HSS two-flute center-cutting end mills that range from 1/8 to 1/2”, and McM supplied US-made HTC end mills. They came with a wooden mounting block that was not very well-made, but I won’t need it.

Rick “data points” Denney

Back