Long Bar Holding Option

An interesting option. Is there an optimal live center to stock ratio range to consider? Do the tips in this set match a standard #1 - #5 center drill set range?
My “extended nose” live center, which is about the size of the middle tip on the of the original photo, works with my #5 that has a 3/16” pilot.

The purpose of the range of tips is to fit a range of holes outside those made with a center drill, like the bore of your canon.

"Machined"=rough work with a file. :) I think the casting opening is about 1.5" ID ?
When I cleaned up my LMS 1" Steady Rest (still in the packing grease) it almost fit the 1.25" rod, so a few licks with the rattail file and it fits easily now. That's $100 saved on a 1-2" ball bearing unit. I might get one some day but there's other stuff in the queue.

Thanks!

When I cleaned up my LMS 1" Steady Rest (still in the packing grease) it almost fit the 1.25" rod, so a few licks with the rattail file and it fits easily now.
Good on you (as my friends in the UK might say)

That's $100 saved on a 1-2" ball bearing unit. I might get one some day but there's other stuff in the queue.
Oh you poor man: you won’t truly be one of us until you accumulate more tools that “I’ll be able to use that one day” than you have actually used more than 2 or 3 times. ;)

Back