Group Project: Dividing Head - The Build

@Flyinfool - I learned something today while playing with the machine. Why is it preferable to have the index pin mounted in the slot instead of the worm shaft? (just like your plans.) I noticed that if I forgot to unlock the spindle clamp (which I will inevitably do,) and I try to rotate the crank, it can come unscrewed from the shaft and indexing is lost. It would be better if the worm shaft was mounted very tight in a single end hole (with Loctite) so this could not happen.

@extropic - "The spring force is the way the sector arms are held stationary against the index plates. Isn't that correct? You need enough spring force to secure the sector arms against any inadvertent bump. Too little spring force and the sector arms are not securely fixed. High spring force transmits torque (without a TB), preloads the worm shaft and makes it more difficult to reset the sector arms for each subsequent index. It will be interesting to see what configuration you end up with."
YES you have it.

At the time this was being designed there was a participant that did have or have access to a CNC to make the plates.

Yes every time you change one thing it forces a change somewhere else.

There are many ways to accomplish any one thing. Some of the design decisions were based on what members said there capabilities were. I like what I am seeing so far and do not foresee any issues with what you are doing so far.

Sorry I am intermittent here. My heart has me heading to hospital in a couple of days for a while. I might be able to sneak in here once in a while while I am there.

Good luck with you medical issues. We'll be here when you have time and interest.

Soldered a bushing into the sector arm to reduce its ID. Looks OK I think.
Added a thin walled spacer as suggested by @extropic
1719318536664.png

Added a regular old spring and...works perfectly!
1719318592452.png

Retracted1719582920097.png
Engaged
1719582887544.png
The small knob on the end is a spinner to make it easy to make multiple revolution. Otherwise, I followed the plan design except for minor diameter changes.

It's stainless so it is very shiny. I gave some thought about encrusting it with diamonds.

Back