Grinders for HSS

^^ It being metric adds considerably to the cost. :)
Did you watch the video? Plans are available for the grinder in Imperial and metric. They’re completely separate designs and in the US it makes no sense to build the metric version since steel is supplied primarily in Imperial sizes. In the US the metric sizes aren’t a factor so how does that add to the cost?

I'm surprised at the cost. What made it so expensive: Was it just the amount of steel primarily? Something around $800 without the motor wouldn't have surprised me but 2 grand is tough! It would be a luxury for me and would eat up too much space in a small shop. I have 3 bench grinders and 2 bench sanders with belts.
I priced out thr imperial version.
If I remember correctly frame materials were around $370 online, motor and VFD were $1140 (still in my amazon buy later queue). Rollers and other HW made up the rest. Your $800 estimate is pretty close less motor/controller.

Relating to the original post, I have for my grinder collection a pretty standard 8" DeWalt with the stock coarse and fine wheels, a smaller 6" no name with a green wheel for carbide and a ScotchBrite deburring wheel. I spent time making some balancing washers for both these, and they run very quietly and smoothly now, after being shockingly bad out of the box. I also have a Deckel cutter-grinder clone with an assortment of aluminum oxide and diamond wheels. It's 3 phase so I run it on a VFD that gives speed control...but I almost always run it at rated rpm...4500 or so.

I "discovered" that you can use the green wheel to reform carbide inserts...to create a trepanning cutter or get exactly the right grooving width. I've also touched up the parting GTN3 inserts to make sure the burr is left on the side I don't want.

Back