Grinders for HSS

I don't have a static position for mine. It sits on the flood, gets shuffled around then onto a bench when needed. At some point the plan is to have it on a pedestal mounted to a wheeled platform so I can roll it around as opposed to carrying.
I don't have that luxury – things need to have a location if for no other reason so I can move about. Here's the "space" for the 2x42 (grey box in the green oval, from my latest Floor Plan; the 2x42 would have been stored sideways, this shows it in use):

Shop Layout 20240728 Grinders.jpg
Walkthrough Video is here

I don't have that luxury

Clearly the water heater and the pantry are gonna have to go. :cool:

If you scrambled that all up and arranged all the Legos different, that's about how my basement looks. I'm at the point where nothing comes unless something goes. Priorities should be an insurable condition. Life is hard.

I don't have a static position for mine. It sits on the flood, gets shuffled around then onto a bench when needed. At some point the plan is to have it on a pedestal mounted to a wheeled platform so I can roll it around as opposed to carrying.
lol, that’s kind of how my new carbide grinder has been. Getting shuffled around on the floor

lol, that’s kind of how my new carbide grinder has been. Getting shuffled around on the floor

Other than the Bandsaws that are bolted to the top of a roller drawer base, wheels are reserved for storage units & stacked storage containers: it takes a half hour to move stuff around to get ready the semi-annual heat pump maintenance.

Other than the Bandsaws that are bolted to the top of a roller drawer base, wheels are reserved for storage units & stacked storage containers: it takes a half hour to move stuff around to get ready the semi-annual heat pump maintenance.
EDIT:
My apologies – I do have a mobile Grinder Table, but it lives in the garage:
Mobile Belt Grinder Setup 1 rfs.jpg
Mobile Belt GRinder Setup 2 rfs.jpg
Ryobi 4" x 36", Craftsman 2" x 42" (so I would have shared belt sizes with the Grizzly) and a Craftsman 4-1/2" Angle Grinder in the tan toolbox, all on a modified HF Universal Tool Stand. The 2-1/2" HF Clamp-On Vise is handy when working with the angle grinder (or when heating small items with a torch). It can be rolled outside if needed (or close to the garage door so it's easy to blow the tools off with the leaf blower after use), and is stored in the open spot to the right in the lower photo (in front of the Homer Bucket).

The garage is just as tightly packed as the basement, here's how things look with both cars:
Both Cars in the Garage Inside View.jpeg
(The Physician's Scale is no longer in there – it was sold early this year; and I moved the Clorox 2 bottle off the Ryobi))

And when the weather is bad, we move the trash cans inside (either to make it easier to clear snow or to avoid chasing after them in the neighborhood after a storm):
Both Cars in Garage Outside View.jpg

For anyone that has an interest in building their own belt grinder, YouTube maker Jer Schmidt has plans, both Imperial and metric, for a grinder that is highly regarded by knife makers. Some say that it’s better than any commercial grinder. Even if you don’t want to build a grinder or one of his other tools, his videos are well done and very entertaining.

He has both the YouTube channel and a website.

For anyone that has an interest in building their own belt grinder, YouTube maker Jer Schmidt has plans, both Imperial and metric, for a grinder that is highly regarded by knife makers. Some say that it’s better than any commercial grinder. Even if you don’t want to build a grinder or one of his other tools, his videos are well done and very entertaining.

He has both the YouTube channel and a website.
Well thought out design and his build videos are excellent. Uses a limited amount of tools to churn one out which is also impressive. I bought the plans but at the end of the day it was just too large and priced out around 2K. It was a fun exercise though.

Well thought out design and his build videos are excellent. Uses a limited amount of tools to churn one out which is also impressive. I bought the plans but at the end of the day it was just too large and priced out around 2K. It was a fun exercise though.
I'm surprised at the cost. What made it so expensive: Was it just the amount of steel primarily? Something around $800 without the motor wouldn't have surprised me but 2 grand is tough! It would be a luxury for me and would eat up too much space in a small shop. I have 3 bench grinders and 2 bench sanders with belts.

Back