Best protective oil / coating for chucks, tools, etc.

sorry, but I don't share your hatred for 3 in 1. it's base is mineral oil. It's a decent light weight oil.
It is not hatred. hate requires emotion, which I refuse to waste on anything that does not deserve it.

I have a severe dislike for the stuff given personal experience as well as the experience others have of it. Granted it is fine for internal or external hinges, but little else and to be honest, better lubricants exist for that purpose and more besides.

Besides, it is the fact that it attracts moisture that is the problem, not the oil itself and the acidic citronella far from helps the situation.

Last edited:
Hello! I just purchased my first lathe, an EMCO C8, and am getting everything cleaned up and organized. It was rust free for the most part, but some of the tooling, etc. had some rust here and there. I've removed that with Evaporust and not knowing otherwise, shot the parts with a light coat of WD-40 to keep them from flashing rust until I know what to coat them with. Should I just use way oil for that? I see there is a lot of debate on the use of grease on chuck internals - I'm really asking about rust prevention moreso on those as well as centers, tooling, etc. Any suggestions?

If you're using an oil for this purpose, stay out of anything that's for "something else". Engine oil, transmission oil, bar and chain oil, and many greases (not all) will not do what you need. You might find one "somewhere" in the mix that does OK, but generally this is not high on their list because A, it's not required, or B, they require heat and circulation to maintain their oxidation and rust protection.

A good oil for that is an R&O or AW hydraulic oil, or any circulating oil that your lathe calls for. Very "plain" oil, with targeted but minimal ammendments. What's in your general purpose (not way oil) jug that you squirt at your machines anywhere that doesn't want something special? 32? 46? 68? Sure. Good stuff. Or maybe you've got something similar stashed for gearboxes.

I use fluid film a bunch for this purpose, that's got pretty good staying power. Doesn't take much, Spray some and wipe it around. Wipe it off with a rag (you WON'T get it all that way), and the residue is all it takes. for short/mid term storage. If the stink bothers you (and the stink is real...), that's lanolin. That's the magic. It's "made", not "harvested", but it's lanolin. There's options. Fluid Film is the easiest to get usually, but Wool Wax is a option that's essentially the same, a little thicker consistency, but without the stink, and available in spraybomb cans.

Is that video appropriate for this site?
As much as I disagree with its objective, The context was spot on for the intended purpose of getting his point across... Its just a movie clip.

Now if that was a clip from the most recent presidential debate which I turned off, then I'd be concerned about offensive content.. :)

My perspective on the 3 in 1 oil issue per the OP dilemma is, while regular 3 in 1 has its place, their are newer and better products on the market designed to specifically prevent machine tool rust... what he chooses and the frequency of application is really dependent on the environment its being used and stored in...

Edited for funniness.

Last edited:
As much as I disagree with its objective, The context was spot on for the intended purpose of getting his point across... Its just a movie clip.

Now if that was a clip from the most recent presidential debate which I turned off, then I'd be concerned about offensive content.. :)

My perspective on the 3 in 1 oil issue per the OP dilemma is, while regular 3 in 1 has its place, their are newer and better products on the market designed to specifically prevent machine tool rust... what he chooses and the frequency of application is really dependent on the environment its being used and stored in...

Ed

Welp. This was certainly entertaining! Thanks for all the banter and ideas. I ordered some T-9 and also picked up some Fluid Film at Home Depot today. I don't love the thought of using something that stinks, so I'll start with he T-9 and go from there. Thanks guys!

Welp. This was certainly entertaining! Thanks for all the banter and ideas. I ordered some T-9 and also picked up some Fluid Film at Home Depot today. I don't love the thought of using something that stinks, so I'll start with he T-9 and go from there. Thanks guys!
Try it, it doesn't stink bad, it's a smell that brought me back to my childhood. I used to smell that on something, I can't remember what, but it's not that bad. I kind of like it now.

That bad eh??

Just waiting to see what the muck-show that is UK politics turns up on friday. 14 years of complete and utter BS from the current shower of ess-aitch-one-Tee is enough, time for a change. Always the same when the current idiots are in charge!

Try it, it doesn't stink bad, it's a smell that brought me back to my childhood. I used to smell that on something, I can't remember what, but it's not that bad. I kind of like it now.
You sure it was not a vehicle of some form that used a rust preventative either from factory or as an aftermarket application?

Back