Best protective oil / coating for chucks, tools, etc.

First , I can't find any proof that it contains citronella, only that there is a Faint citronella odor.
Why would citronella be a problem? It's an oil from lemon grass.

1719760407797.png

First , I can't find any proof that it contains citronella, only that there is a Faint citronella odor.
Why would citronella be a problem? It's an oil from lemon grass.

View attachment 495303

In every application I have ever tried to use it, or, in fact, ever seen it used, rust has formed far faster and far worse than untreated material in the same environment. It does not help that citronella is acidic either.

I was also told, many years ago, that it is hygroscpoic, id-est, attracts moisture.

I haven't used 3in1 in years as I now buy my oils by the quart or gallon. But I never remember anything rusting because of it?
I have and still do on a regular basis, courtesy of siezed solid AW internal hub gears that only ever had 3-in-1 used on them, not to mention tools and equipment that only ever had that stuff used on them and it isnot just me that has seen that either. It is a well known phenomenon in a particular hobby I am involved in.

Might just be a UK formulation thing??? who knows, but the results speak for themselves.

Back