Starting a South Bend 9C Restoration - Disassembling, Cleaning, Stripping, and (soon) Priming

Why stop there?
How about a shop cooler stocked with micro brew?
Since the Mighty SB is disassembled, you won’t risk losing a digit (or worse) in the rapidly spinning chuck.

Hi, it's nice to meet you all.

I wanted to put up a thread on a project I've recently started. I live in the middle of nowhere - well, not quite the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from here - in northern Alberta and so I haven't been spoiled for choice in terms of used machine tools I can find in my area. I ended up with a 1940 South Bend model 9C, which (in addition to no quick-change gearbox, power cross-feed, or threading dial) means plain bearings for the spindle! My hope is to give it a thorough cleaning and fixing-up, and have it as my 'daily driver' lathe as I get myself started in hobby machining.

Overall, it looks like the machine was not too heavily used but also not terribly well-cared-for. Here's a photo from the listing, before I got my hands on it:
View attachment 495714
The cross-slide and compound nuts seem good, with no slop, and the spindle bearings look okay so far. The only really noticeable issue is that the ways are pretty heavily dinged-up near the headstock; I have vague plans of acquiring some precision-ground flat stones and stoning the worst of the bumps off, but that may need to wait until my budget recovers.

The first step was disassembly; I've got the whole thing (except the motor) down to individual parts and am currently cleaning it off and stripping the paint. For the time being, I'm coating the bare metal lightly with oil to prevent it rusting and hope to have it coated with primer before winter comes and ends the painting season.
View attachment 495716

Accessory-wise there is a steady rest which looks original - plain fingers with no rollers - a faceplate, a few dead centers, and an old three-jaw chuck. I'm still evaluating the motor, which does run alright, but I'm considering swapping in something with a bit more power to support heavier cuts.

The lantern-type tool post is a beauty, but I really want to pop an Aloris-style QCTP on there. I know it'll look really horrid and jarring but the convenience is hard to argue with.

I'd be curious to know folks' thoughts on paint for a lathe which is expected to see moderate use. At the moment I've got some Tremclad 'Rust Paint' primer for the base coat but I'm still considering whether to go for POR-15 engine enamel paint (about which I have heard many good things from Quinn at Blondihacks) or to just get a basic metal paint from my local hardware store.

In the event that I do get everything properly cleaned/scrubbed/stripped/primed and painted before winter begins, the next step will be ordering a few replacement parts. I found someone on eBay who offers rebuilding kits with the full set of felt wicks, wipers, and pads as well as replacement belting, which is definitely a must. Then, it'll be on to reassembly!

Anyways, I don't have a huge amount of shop time so it this may be kind of slow to update but I thought people might find it somewhat interesting and I will post updates and photos when I can.

Cheers,
Nolan
Nolan, My Father worked at SBL for nearly 40 Yrs (He passed away not long ago) Throughout my childhood (into my 20's) we had a 9" bench mount SBL in our basement very similar to what you have. His had hardened bed though. He said that he often times engraved his initials on the underside of the belt cover or the small cover to get at the back gear pin. Let me know if you see "JW" anywhere please. He had his painted in a dull yellow color. I'm not quite clear on why another poster said "no thread cutting on that" I'm certainly not out to step on toes but I know I cut threads all the time on my Dad's. He was probably referencing a condition issue. DANG it now I see why he said no thread cutting, it has no gear box Man my BAD Sorry for that Thanks so much as your photos brought back fond memories.

Last edited:
Nolan, all kidding aside, good for you for deciding to strip & paint your SB9C.
I wish I’d done that with mine 40 odd yrs. ago when I bought it.
I’ve grown to like the patina of the old gal after all these yrs, but paint may happen after I see yours.
I cut threads quite often on my C, it would be easier with a gear box but this is a hobby for me.
I kinda enjoy the gear changes.
Keep the progress coming. Cheers.

Nolan, My Father worked at SBL for nearly 40 Yrs (He passed away not long ago) Throughout my childhood (into my 20's) we had a 9" bench mount SBL in our basement very similar to what you have. His had hardened bed though. He said that he often times engraved his initials on the underside of the belt cover or the small cover to get at the back gear pin. Let me know if you see "JW" anywhere please. He had his painted in a dull yellow color. I'm not quite clear on why another poster said "no thread cutting on that" I'm certainly not out to step on toes but I know I cut threads all the time on my Dad's. He was probably referencing a condition issue. DANG it now I see why he said no thread cutting, it has no gear box Man my BAD Sorry for that Thanks so much as your photos brought back fond memories.
Oh that's really neat. I haven't seen a trace of initials, though I will definitely say if I see any! Thread cutting will involve a lot of juggling change gears but I'm in no great hurry.
Nolan, all kidding aside, good for you for deciding to strip & paint your SB9C.
I wish I’d done that with mine 40 odd yrs. ago when I bought it.
I’ve grown to like the patina of the old gal after all these yrs, but paint may happen after I see yours.
I cut threads quite often on my C, it would be easier with a gear box but this is a hobby for me.
I kinda enjoy the gear changes.
Keep the progress coming. Cheers.
Thanks! I'm keeping at it, hope to have some photos of the stripped parts to post soon (once I tidy up a bit). I'd like nothing better than to get 40 odd years out of this old beauty.

1000004476.jpg
Took a moment to give the change gears a soak in some Evap-o-Rust and a scrub, then a coat of oil. I'm missing the 24t from the list I found, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's just hiding in another box. Getting old grime off is proving tricky, currently I am using WD-40 and some brass wire brushes but I may pick up some of the little scotchbrite wheels for odd corners.

I found that an ultrasonic cleaner is ideal for cleaning these parts and bought one large enough that the gearbox from my 9a would fit in the basket.
Does a fine job.
Small greasy parts that fit in a peanut butter jar filled with your favorite solvent and immersed in the cleaner come out looking like new!
It does a good job stripping paint as well!

1000004498.jpg
1000004497.jpg
Progress! Most of the way through the big painted parts, just the headstock guards, cross-slide, and tailstock left to scrub/strip/scrub/oil.
Oh and the leadscrew bearings. And the leadscrew itself.
The oil will need to come off before painting, but for now it will keep anything from corroding in case I don't have a chance to prime it soon.

So far, so good!
Be sure and wipe everything down good w/thinner to remove any residual oils that may cause paint adherence issues.

So far, so good!
Be sure and wipe everything down good w/thinner to remove any residual oils that may cause paint adherence issues.
Oh definitely, there's a pretty heavy coat of oil on them right now.

Back