Starting a South Bend 9C Restoration - Disassembling, Cleaning, Stripping, and (soon) Priming

For years, I’ve have toyed with the idea of painting my 9C long bed. If I ever work up the courage to tear the head stock apart, I think I would swap out the 3 step flat belt pulley for a 4 step v belt for more versatility.

I wonder if that missing 24t change gear could be made on a 3D printer. Would probably work for a while as long as you don’t drive it too hard.

Good news! The 24t was found hiding in with some of the other gears, it must have been on the lathe when I disassembled it. I've got everything apart and fairly clean, and am now starting to mask it for priming.
1000004695.jpg
1000004694.jpg
1000004693.jpg
1000004761.jpg
The bad news is that the two top paints I was recommended, Rustoleum Protective Enamel and Por15 Engine Enamel, are both no longer available in Canada. I'm open to suggestions, but may fall back on either the Tremclad Rust Paint I can get at the local hardware store or whatever I can get at the auto parts shop.

And, at last, starting to put it back together! Mid-life-crisis-car red (Tremclad Performance Rust Enamel in Gloss Safety Red) is coming out nice and cheery; I'm leaving the grey primer on the inner surfaces for contrast and because I'm lazy. All the masked surfaces are getting a coat of light oil before they go together, so that hopefully the next person to do this doesn't have to deal with as much rust!
1000004794.jpg
1000004792.jpg
1000004795.jpg

Nice job. my experience is the hardware store enamel paint holds up great but it takes about a month to get to full strength, longer in colder temperatures. So be careful about moving and assembling parts after a couple of days.

Back