Any user feedback about recent experiences with the Precision Matthews PM-1022V lathe?

Something I really have come to appreciate from Mr Pete's videos is (for the most part) he doesn't crap on machines and he seems to have a "show me" attitude, meaning he is willing to try something so he can form an opinion. Now there are machines and tools he has put down, but that is usually because they are right in front of him displaying their glorious badness.

He didn't approach the Unimat from the point of this thing is a joke compared to my Clausing, he made a real effort to see what the little thing can do. Same with the little ManSon. That is content that could allow somebody new to machining, who is considering a Unimat to watch and come away with "wow, that will not work for me", or "man that thing would be perfect".

He seems to be honestly amused by the 618 being a miniature version of his 12" Craftsman seen through his frequent comparisons of the parts.
He's a brilliant and natural born teacher and despite his age (and constant moaning about views and being 'shadow banned' by YouTube:grin:) he can't seem to help himself, he has to teach. :)

Even with a 10” lathe I’d recommend 3/8” tooling: blanks cost less and there’s less to grind away.

With regard to those sets that Accusize (and others, including LMS) sell, I don’t like them because they have some funky profiles using forged blanks and other than for grooving a regular cut off blade in a specific holder is better.

Even though only 1/4”, this set would be better as a starting set since you get finished ground bits plus a set of blanks to learn how to grind your own. Plus the profiles are basic ones, making it easier to develop your skills:

View attachment 504849

@Aaron_W finished his post while I was digging out details; I fully agree with him
Oh, that's great! Thank you so much, @ChazzC , @Aaron_W

One thing that I think is worth noting is that there's the general viewpoint that older is better. IMHO, that's based on the general trend that older is bigger, and thus more solidly built. It's the mass much more than the age that's triggering the perception of better. I have the PM 1030, personally, but haven't used it enough to give much of a review (positive or negative).

Back