Is there anything that I need to know about Precision Matthews PM-1022V Lathe before buying?

I have one and have been very pleased with it. PM people are very good to deal with. Blondiehacks has one and explains it very well. She is an amazing machinist and her 10x 22 seems to serve her well. Look up her video's.
Thanks, Tom1948. Watching BlondieHacks is how I found Precision Matthews and got jealous :)

How does that old saying go? "buy the biggest version of the machine that you want, if you can afford it".
That’s why I got my 7x16

That said, is there an option to acquire a 30" bedway upgrade kit??
I’m assuming you mean in the future; with PM relatively close by 4 hour drive) and their reputation for customer support that probably is a potential option, but seeing as how I am in my 7th decade and the 1020 is a future wishlist item and I don’t want a significant machine project in my 8th decade, I think I’ll pass .

Tom1948,
You make several good solid points. Look up Quin Dunkin at Blondihacks, she also has several in depth reviews of this machine. I cannot speak first hand on the PM1022 but if you have the room I would suggest the PM1030, same machine with a longer bed. I have a PM1236 and it is a good machine, that said I can tell you from personal experience PM has a 3 year warranty and they are very serious about taking care of thier customers, they are a first rate company.
Thank you, verbotenwhisky.

When I bought my 1236 in 2019, I made arrangements to pick it up at the FedEx depot. A short forklift ride to my utility trailer and off I went. Somehow, FedEx managed to separate the two crates with the cabinets from the crate with the lathe, but that got straightened out in a couple of days and I went back for the cabinets. An easy grab off the trailer with an engine hoist. Solved the issue of getting pallets off of a truck and into the shop.

View attachment 504092View attachment 504091
Thank you, bctexas. Your pictures will definitely help me to make a decision now that I know what it all looks like.

The biggest thing to be aware of IMHO is that the chuck mount is a DIN 55027 which is not very common. You'll have difficulty finding other types of chucks to fit it. There's a thread on this forum describing how to modify one of our back plates to suit an ER40 Collet chuck for example.
The D1-4 mount on the 1130V lathe is much more common. As long as you're ok with that stipulation, it's a fine lathe.
Oh, thank you so much for that tip! Very good to know. I'll look into that.

The biggest thing to be aware of IMHO is that the chuck mount is a DIN 55027 which is not very common. You'll have difficulty finding other types of chucks to fit it. There's a thread on this forum describing how to modify one of our back plates to suit an ER40 Collet chuck for example.
The D1-4 mount on the 1130V lathe is much more common. As long as you're ok with that stipulation, it's a fine lathe.
PM has back plates available (on backorder) and when/if the time comes the plate would be to get a couple of extras.

I have a 1030V. It has worked really well for me. I did do the James Cough conversion to electronic lead screw- so no longer have to much about with changing gears. Plus much quieter in the bargin.
I got the one with DRO mounted already and find it very useful. The power cross-feed is great.
Swing is not really quite 10” very slightly less. Even larger pass through would be nice, but many of this size are smaller. The note about the chuck mount is good to know. It has not been an issue for me yet, but would be nice if a ‘standard’ mount making fitting other chucks handier.

Is the 10" just not big enough for the D1-4 connection?

I am very pleased with my PM 1030. If you have the space, I'd highly recommend going to the 30" bed. For an extra $100 (IIRC), it seems to be a no-brainer if you have the additional space. I think having the extra room is worth it if only because I can get the tailstock over out of the way giving a bit more elbow room. You only have to hit your elbow on a drill bit or live center in the tailstock once to appreciate that extra room.

I do wish that I'd have popped for the DRO. Planning to add one in the near future.

DO buy a couple extra back plates from PM. They are easily modified to mate other chucks to - I adapted a PM D1-4 ER40 collet chuck to my lathe in a couple hours. It's a tru-set type of chuck, and once dialed-in, is very repeatable. Thread here.

Plan to spend more than a few hours taking things apart, cleaning, deburring, fettling, etc. The manufacturer doesn't clean off/out the machining schmoo prior to assembly. Everything comes apart fairly simply; great way to get familiar with the machine. Change gears need deburring to fit the hubs properly.

There will be things you'll want to make for it, like a solid tool post mount.

There will be things you will want to make work better, especially the compound slide. I trued my dovetails up, made a new compound leadscrew and bronze nut, added thrust washers and a shaft bearing. Like butter now.

Back