What Did You Buy Today?

Vevor #3 Arbor press (aka another clean-up project), just hoisted onto the bench next to the 20 ton hydraulic press.
The hydraulic press is a 2 speed hand pump (two cylinders with different diameters) so on the high speed/low force side there is some slight feel, but still a bit dicey for broaching, which I've done all too often on it. So in the name of safety, I bought this.

At quick glance the base and base wheel both need to be cleaned up (machined smooth and flashing ground). Will have to assemble the handle/rachet to see how good that is.
IMG_5363.JPG

This is what happens when you leave your bullet vises too close together...
Being nosy. What's the green vehicle in the background? At first I thought VW, but it vaguely looks like suicide doors with two door handles close together.

I keep seeing pictures of presses like the one posted by K30 and the one poster by rabler. The one posted by K30 supposedly has a 100-ton capacity, and the one posted by rabler has a 20-ton capacity. I built one over 20 years ago that was an exact copy of a Blackhawk rated at 20-tons.

The old Blackhawk looks as though it has a considerably larger capacity than the HF one, and close to the capacity of the TMG Industrial one. Do any of these presses come with certifications or are they just manufacturer claims.

Here's the press I built.

Attachments

• DSCF8020.JPG
    DSCF8020.JPG
    275.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF8104.JPG
    DSCF8104.JPG
    478.3 KB · Views: 39
I keep seeing pictures of presses like the one posted by K30 and the one poster by rabler. The one posted by K30 supposedly has a 100-ton capacity, and the one posted by rabler has a 20-ton capacity. I built one over 20 years ago that was an exact copy of a Blackhawk rated at 20-tons.

The old Blackhawk looks as though it has a considerably larger capacity than the HF one, and close to the capacity of the TMG Industrial one. Do any of these presses come with certifications or are they just manufacturer claims.
No certification on mine, just manufacturer (Grizzly) claims. There is a pressure gauge on the cylinder calibrated in tons total pressure. Would be interesting to compare that to a load cell but I don't have one. Certainly yours looks more likely to actually hit 20 tons reliably without the frame warping! The hydraulic pump on mine leaks, need to rebuild that. It's a few years old but hasn't seen much use.

Saw a "This Old Tony" video the other day outlining a modification to a similar arbor press to get the handle in the best leverage position no matter the height of the work piece. Pretty simple mod. Mike

Vevor #3 Arbor press (aka another clean-up project), just hoisted onto the bench next to the 20 ton hydraulic press.
The hydraulic press is a 2 speed hand pump (two cylinders with different diameters) so on the high speed/low force side there is some slight feel, but still a bit dicey for broaching, which I've done all too often on it. So in the name of safety, I bought this.

Just bought another lathe, it looks in pretty good condition for it's age, date of manufacture is 1985

2096511781.jpg

Then I went and made an offer on this chuck, I'm wondering if there is something wrong with it as the offer I made was 1/2 of what he was asking for it and he accepted.
Image1.jpg

Just bought another lathe, it looks in pretty good condition for it's age, date of manufacture is 1985

View attachment 483746

Then I went and made an offer on this chuck, I'm wondering if there is something wrong with it as the offer I made was 1/2 of what he was asking for it and he accepted.
View attachment 483747
Looks like mine. Tida 5AA

John

Without the lathe it was maybe just taking up space?

Back