What Did You Buy Today?

As long as the misc chores list hasn't devolved into a scroll, you're probably good! Lol

Really want to add 4-5, and 5-6 to my collection here. Passed up on a 0-12 kit a few years ago. Still kicking myself...
Could have used a 4-5 when building the endtrucks on the crane. Managed with a Mit caliper, but would have preferred mics. Next is to get an inside micrometer set with extensions so I can measure inside diameters larger than snap/bore gauges.

Bought this 1.5" face mill off Amazon. I was a little worried about the size with the smaller PM-25 mill, but it worked as well if not smoother that my Tormach Super Fly cutter. Accusize brand off Amazon.
I have their 1" End Mill:

20240318 Accusize 1in Endmill.jpeg
Works well on steel (with cautious DOC) in my Mini-Mill (can't find photos of it' in action). I also picked up some TPG-222 inserts from A.R. Warner for it when I placed my last order:

AR Warner T-15 TPG-222.jpeg
They're not on their website: you have to call them.

/\/\ Nice little cutter. I have a few up to 4" I think . 1" , 2" and 2.5" here . ETMs and Valanites .

Attachments

• IMG_1145.JPG
    IMG_1145.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1146.JPG
    IMG_1146.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1147.JPG
    IMG_1147.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 16
/\/\ Nice little cutter. I have a few up to 4" I think . 1" , 2" and 2.5" here . ETMs and Valanites .
I’ve got a 2” that uses TPG-322, plus 3/8”, 1/2” & 5/8” that take APKT1003 inserts. Also have a 2” face/shell mill that takes 5 round inserts. 2” is the largest I’m comfortable with in the Mini-Mill (or a larger Bench Mill if I ever upgrade).

Could have used a 4-5 when building the endtrucks on the crane. Managed with a Mit caliper, but would have preferred mics. Next is to get an inside micrometer set with extensions so I can measure inside diameters larger than snap/bore gauges.
I have a couple sets of Starrett inside mics that go up to 12", and a set of snap gauges. They both work fine, but I find it much easier to use a bore gauge if the work piece is within its range. A couple years ago I picked up 3 bore gauges that will measure from 18mm to 180mm, or about 3/4" to a little over 7" depending on which style indicator is attached. They came from one of the local used equipment dealers along with a few other goodies. The price was more than reasonable in that I paid $75.00 for the lot which included a set of B&S 123 blocks, a B&S magnetic V block, and a couple dial indicator bases.

This is another case where it's in your interest to visit these types of dealers on a somewhat regular basis and get to know the owners. Over the years we've become friends, and he knows the type of machines and tooling I'm interested in. When he comes across something he thinks I'll be interested in he puts it aside. I visit often enough that he only holds those items off the floor for a couple weeks.

As mentioned in an earlier post he will often hold "smalls" off the floor for a short period of time for customers rather than take a chance they could be lost, damaged, or even stolen by less than scrupulous visitors.

Attachments

• IMG_1417.jpg
    IMG_1417.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1419.jpg
    IMG_1419.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1421.jpg
    IMG_1421.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 17
Being there's no need yet, you can find the one you want hopefully in a timely manner B4 you need it. If not you can spend $$$ on the size you need
Yep. It's always good to track the going value of tools in your mind. That way you know if something is a good deal when it shows up.

A lot of tools in the shop are '5 year impulse' purchases. Wife has gotten used to stuff she didn't know I wanted showing up. lol!

A while ago I was looking at a similar model made by MAXX out of Germany. I got a real shock when the starting prices were a little over $1,000.00 for a 500 lb. model and $2,200.00 for one that could lift 1,500 lbs.

Back